Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2003 Subaru Outback seat belt replacement problems

I have a 2003 Subaru Outback and I needed to repair the rear outer seatbelt due to a tear in the webbing. I purchased a new seat belt assembly from Subaru to replace it. When trying to install it I found that I could not get the seat belt to extend from the retractor no matter what I tried. 

It is brand new and I noticed when I took the broken belt off, it locked up as well so I don't think it has a broken retractor mechanism. I attempted pulling slow, fast, hard, soft, up, down, left and right with no success. Feel like an idiot. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks a lot!

It's very tricky to hold the seatbelt mechanism in the proper orientation to prevent the latch from engaging.

It will work just fine once installed in the car.

+1

and also to what was said earlier- seatbelts are lifetime replacement so the dealer will do it if the car hasn't been wrecked, worked on, modified, etc.

A few years back, I tried unsuccessfully to install belts into a friend's 2002 OBW. His dog had gone nuts and chewed the back seat belts into a mess. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to install the belts. He said the dealer wanted $800 to fix the belts. He finally had the dealer do the work. It must be labor intensive to replace the belts at $800. We never knew about the belts being a lifetime warranty item............but maybe not so for dog damage.

A few years back, I tried unsuccessfully to install belts into a friend's 2002 OBW. His dog had gone nuts and chewed the back seat belts into a mess. Try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to install the belts. He said the dealer wanted $800 to fix the belts. He finally had the dealer do the work. It must be labor intensive to replace the belts at $800. We never knew about the belts being a lifetime warranty item............but maybe not so for dog damage.

I had pretty much the same problem. I had heard about the lifetime warranty but I had assumed I wasn't covered. The belt didn't break on its own, it got damaged.

Does Subaru's warranty cover damage by the owner? 

Thanks for the input everyone.