Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Yet another 5 speed d/r swap Q.

I have read here on the board that when doing th 5 spd d/r swap you need an EA82 flywheel and have also read that you need an EA81 flwheel.Is this an instance where either will work.I have read that you need the 81 to match the timing marks but my EA81T has the mark on the crank pulley.Since tuning up my Brat and getting thoroughly spanked by my buddys RX I have finally realized that the auto must go!Off the line he waxed me but once I got the revs up he really didn't get much further ahead.I have an EA81 flywheel and am going to start searching yards for d/r 5 speeds.If I find a 3.70 trans I assume it will work with the 3.70 rear in my Brat.I am sure you long timers here on the board are probably sick and tired of these questions you answer over and over again,but I have heard alot of diferent answers to these questions.And as an added incentive if you mods can set me straight on these questions I promise to make a $10.00 donation to the board by weeks end.As my daughter has taught me sometimes you just have to put a bribe up.:lol:

Thanks again,Dave.

You can use either flywheel the debate is whether or not it is hard on the internal bearings and crankshaft. The crank has the same pilot bearing size surface but the ea81 uses smaller bolts and the holes in the crank are thus smaller too. If you use the ea82 flywheel you still have to use the ea81 bolts or you have to tap and thread out the holes to accept the bigger ea82 flywheel bolts.

I dont see any point in debating this, as most of the people that would say the ea82 flywheel is fine to use have no proof that it lasts a significant amount of time or miles last time I checked. At the same time there haven't been any reports of problem either. I was slightly tempted to try making some custom bolts from ea82 bolts just sizing them down at the point that they go into the crank....not easy though.

I personally went with the ea81 flywheel. (and ea82 clutch disc, ea81 pressure plate, ea82 throwout bearing and the pilot is the same either way)

Your assumption is right on the 3.70 except for one thing. If you do get the 3.70 trans that means you are going to have to use turbo spline axles and get them custom made. If you go with a 3.90 trans you can use ea81 axles like you already have. www.cvaxles.com charges 110 per axle as you have no core. They made them in about 3 weeks.

Hey Shawn,thanks for the info.I must admit that I am a little confused about the turbo spline axles.Do you mean turbo spline axles from an EA82T?On the other hand that was a pretty thorough explanation,I'll either paypal the board or just give you cash in Iowa.Thanks,Dave.

At the transmission end of the axle is the geared stub that you slide the DOJ end onto. This is the part that you punch the pin in. That particular part has a variation of 25 spline or 23 spline for turbo/non when it comes to ea82 axles.

DONT ASK ME WHY I DONT GET IT. :)

Subaru was so wise with interchangability of its parts other than this.

I highly recommend getting the 5spd kit from Jerry (Bratsrus1). You will have to decide between FT4wd and part time before ordering the kit though as the trans mount block is different.