Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ea82 transmission with ej20 front casing.

yobhgareb

Check out the EA 2 EJ swap - it's a stickied thread at the top of this forum. I don't think you can swap bellhousings, but you can buy or make an adaptor plate to go between the EA transmission and the EJ engine.

Dual range or single range?

You need the matching case type to make this work.

If your L series box is single range, and the EJ20 box is as well then it's as easy as swapping out the guts and reassembling......nothing else required.

D/R will reuire both D/R boxes....And may require modification to the ring gear to clear the larger 1:59 reduction low range gears (it's actually the shifting collar that hits the ring gear.......more a problem with the 4.11 gearset.  not sure what your EJ20 box is.  Although I'm assuming you want to keep the 4wd not AWD so the EJ gearset will not be used.

Edited by Gloyale

Dual range or single range?

You need the matching case type to make this work.

If your L series box is single range, and the EJ20 box is as well then it's as easy as swapping out the guts and reassembling......nothing else required.

D/R will reuire both D/R boxes....And may require modification to the ring gear to clear the larger 1:59 reduction low range gears (it's actually the shifting collar that hits the ring gear.......more a problem with the 4.11 gearset.  not sure what your EJ20 box is.  Although I'm assuming you want to keep the 4wd not AWD so the EJ gearset will not be used.

My l series is the 4wd with hi and lo range. I haven't bought a donor ej20 box yet.  {The donor legacy I have is an auto} I can get a 99 impreza dr box worth the money. Is it a big deal to modify the ring gear? I just want to keep all the functions of my l series gearbox, but just use the ej20 casing?

Edited by yobhgareb

My l series is the 4wd with hi and lo range. I haven't bought a donor ej20 box yet.  {The donor legacy I have is an auto} I can get a 99 impreza dr box worth the money. Is it a big deal to modify the ring gear? I just want to keep all the functions of my l series gearbox, but just use the ej20 casing?

Get the 99 impreza D/R box.

Swap the EA82 diff, Shafts, and possibly the D/R shift fork and gear shifter forks, although they may be the same.

Now that I think about it more, you will not need to modify ring gear or collar.....just use all the EA stuff toghether should be fine.

I had issues trying to fit 4.11 AWD gearset in combo with the 1:59 L hi/lo upper shaft.  We didn't get any EJ D/R's here in the US  :(

Get the 99 impreza D/R box.

Swap the EA82 diff, Shafts, and possibly the D/R shift fork and gear shifter forks, although they may be the same.

Now that I think about it more, you will not need to modify ring gear or collar.....just use all the EA stuff toghether should be fine.

I had issues trying to fit 4.11 AWD gearset in combo with the 1:59 L hi/lo upper shaft.  We didn't get any EJ D/R's here in the US  :(

Thanks for the advice.

• 2 months later...