Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA82T, with code 12 not starting

I would check for other issues.....the code 12 is ussually a "ghost code" that will show always with engine cranking but  not starting.  Code 11 and 13 are common too.

Check your distributor rotor for being tight, and that it spins when engine cranked over (verify timing belt).

Then check for fuel pressure to the rail, and pulse of the injectors.

Probably a bogus code... well, maybe useless is more accurate.  "No start" conditions are notorious for their unhelpful codes.

Check to see if your distrib-rotor's set screw has backed out (I a assuming a particular type of  distrib, one with a screw-down distrib-cap).  Actually grab the rotor and see if it can be turned or pulled off. 

If this is not your problem, disable your ignition electronics (disconnect the distrib connector, and crank the engine over, watch ing to see if the rotor turns.  If it does not, then your distributor-side timing belt is broken.  If it does, remove the rubber plug covering the holes in the non-distrib-side belt cover, and check if that belt is snapped.

If all else is good, try using a spritz of starting fluid to see if it is fuel related.

Good luck.

If all else is good, try using a spritz of starting fluid to see if it is fuel related.

Good luck.

Disconnect the intake tube from the MAF to do this.  DO NOT spray through the MAF, DO NOT leave it hooked up and spray though a PCV line. 

Disconnect it from the MAF and shoot it straight down the tube.  A backfire can destroy the MAF if you leave it connected.

so if this code 12, goes together with 11 and 13, this

Crankshaft Position Sensor, should be replaced, in order to use the loyale? :wacko:

Those all happen during a no start condition.

The Crank and Cam sensor are really the same thing an ea82....part of the distributor.

Check your injectors for 12v with key on. And check that a test light hooked to it pulses during cranking.  Seriously.  The computer is not going to tell you wahts wrong you have to find it.

Timing is correct and the plugs are firing means to me you have a fuel problem. Check for a blown fuse and check to see if the fuel pump under the RR wheel is working. 

I agree to check for a blown fuse. Whenever I have a crank (but no start) condition, I always check the "HAZARD - HORN" fuse under the dash. For some reason, if that's blown, it won't start. I especially had a bunch of problems with this when I had aftermarket horns installed.

my 1986 loyale 4wd turbo, is just cranking but not starting, i just check up the ligth and I read code 12 " starter switch off position "... do you have an idea where is located? please, any ideas?

The starter switch is the starter solenoid.

Code 12 means the computer has not seen 12 volts on the B/W? wire,and did not know it was supposed to be in start mode.

Are you sure it was not code 11?

11 is normal on a no start.

Your 86 EA-82T does not have a crankshaft position sensor like later ones.

Fuel pressure is good,but how good? psi?Plugs wet?

this problems start when I change the pcv because the old one was leaking oil to the intake, also I replace the air filter, but everything was put back in place, even every little vacuum hose, today when I rechecked the car has spark but looks like is little weak, and the smell of the gasoline fill the air, so looks like I´m having a wet spark o a bad coil....

thanks for your help

king regards from CHILE

:wacko: :wacko: :D :D :wacko: :wacko:

Edited by juankyx206

this problems start when I change the pcv because the old one was leaking oil to the intake, also I replace the air filter, but everything was put back in place, even every little vacuum hose, today when I rechecked the car has spark but looks like is little weak, and the smell of the gasoline fill the air, so looks like I´m having a wet spark o a bad coil....

thanks for your help

king regards from CHILE

ve si no pasaste a llevar algo con el filtro de bencina.... o la conexion con el flujometro.... esos cables con la edad que tienen ya estan medios resquebrajados...

puede ser tambien los cables de bujias y el cable que va del distribuidor a la parte derecha... no se como se llama xD

Edited by leniac

The starter switch is the starter solenoid.

Code 12 means the computer has not seen 12 volts on the B/W? wire,and did not know it was supposed to be in start mode.

The code means "continuisly in the "on" or "off" positions.

If you are cranking for many seconds, and the Ig. is sparking, the computer goes  ...."wait.....I'm making spark and should be running, but the starter switch is still cranking"   Throws code for starter switch.

Old electronics have dumb logic.

The code means "continuisly in the "on" or "off" positions.

If you are cranking for many seconds, and the Ig. is sparking, the computer goes  ...."wait.....I'm making spark and should be running, but the starter switch is still cranking"   Throws code for starter switch.

Old electronics have dumb logic.

Good description of code 13,not 12.

12 is starter switch never on.

13 is starter switch always on.

thanks for your help

king regards from CHILE

I would reinstall the old PCV.Seems the NEW one is faulty.

• 2 years later...

Necro-posting here, but did we ever find a solution?

My 86 XT Turbo is giving me a nasty "I'll start and run when I want to" attitude.

I've gone over my codes and I have code 33 (coolant sensor, known about it for a while) as a live code intermittently and code 35 (EGR Solenoid) in memory.

Upon it's non-start issue I got the lovely code 11, but never otherwise.

I wiggled my ECU cables (ECU has been replaced once before with a JY unit by PO) while running and I got it to sputter twice, but when it decided shut off I couldn't get it to give me even a sign of life.

Mind you it had been running trouble free for over 10 minutes this drive and over an hour straight on a previous drive.

Its not mechanical as it has happened in the rain, in the heat, and in the freezing cold, no consistency.

After seeing code 11 I wanted to look at the disty to see if the pickup is operating properly, but I was unable to as it was dark, raining and I was already pissed off at it.

Fuel pump just got replaced and it cycles, as well as the relay, every time I hit the starter.

Cranks over with vigor, but no RPM change on the tach when no fire, but when it fires or tries to fire it shows 250rpm with the starter engaged.

Faulty cam/crank/pickup in the disty? Failing wire somewhere?

Any suggestions?

Twitch

Edited by Twitch de la Brat