Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok all i seem to see is pictures of lift with what they have on. 

What I'm looking for is something that looks more aggressive and has better trail capability than stock, without sacrificing handling or MPG too much. And no tire rubbing! This is still going to be a 90% road car.

I'm looking at a 2-4 inch lift. what size tires can I run with each without rubbing? a little at full lock on a slant is one thing but otherwise no rub.

:bouncy:

Edited by CarpeNoctem

What kind of sub? I'm running 235/75/15 with a 4" lift on mine. Rubed a little till I cut the corners a little. I'd say with a 4" on the old gl,loyales no rub would be about 27" tires. Your going to need to figure out your rim issue though. They don't make those sizes in 13s.

As far as mpg goes with those old EA's it'll be going down after that large of tire is put on. Unless you EJ it.

i have 215/75/r15's on both my lifted rigs, both are 2" lift. one has puegeot rims the other is standard chevy 6 lug steelies.

I had to trim a little on one and massive ammounts on the other. main reason was the rims and tires. while the tires are the same size number, the mud terrains have much more aggressive tread, they are almost 2" taller. With the wide offset, most of the full turning circle was still there, but the fenders were trimmed alot and the fire wall was beat inward quite a bit.

the other car has snow tires on Peugeot rims. barely had to trim at all, just a little off the corners of the wheel wells.. the rear I trimmed out because of rust. not for the rims

It also sits about an inch lower because its a turbo.

Here's the non turbo with the mud terrains.

img0009sx.jpg

And here's the turbo with snow tires...its my baby ;)

img0384na.jpg

The turbo, has a lower ratio transmission than stock so it's barely affected by the bigger tires. gas mileage is still 25mpg or so in town

the non turbo grey car is carbed and not happy with those big tires, gets about 18mpg in town. and it is slow,really slow.

turbo highway mpg is about 30-32

non turbo highway mpg is about 26mpg in fourth, 5th is useless, barely holding 65, it doesn't like hills lol

If you dont want to trim, 185/75/r14's fit well. here's a pic with the rear lifted and the front stock, with those tires.

img0046qp.jpg

Edited by AKghandi

generally your looking at 25" tires max for no lift, if you want no rub and no trimming, then id go for 26ish max with the 2 inch lift.  ive heard that 27's clear with the 2 inch, but if you want no rub and no cut then error on the side of a bit smaller.

make sure to look up the tire on the manufacturers website and check the actual diameter.  the numbers on the side are just approximates, the website will give you an exact diameter.

i run 24.9" bridgestones on my 14" pugs with no lift.  tbh I wish it was a little taller so I will eventually look into a 2" lift, but even just the rims and 25's does a good job of giving it more clearance.  some people even think its lifted just from those, and it doesnt sacrifice ride at all.  I was getting 28 mpg with a crappy gutted hitachi, get 26-27 with my weber but I think there are other problems keeping it low.

What year subaru?

On my 84GL Im currently running 195x75-14s (25") with no lift. I cut quite a bit out of the fenders...3" in front, and 1.5" in the rear, cuz im using isuzu wheels which have a lot less offset, plus I like to be able to use tire chains so i needed a bit more room. Doesnt ever rub, even when I say, " hold my beer and watch this!"

Once these tires are toasted, im going to put on 215x75-14 and i dont anticipate any rub then either. post-25891-0-15760000-1373249833_thumb.jpgpost-25891-0-11338800-1373249858_thumb.jpgpost-25891-0-36192200-1373249915_thumb.jpg

Edited by spazomatic
  • Like 1