Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Door Jammed! ARGH!

I bought an '87 Leone/Loyale sedan today and I've fixed all issues except one.  The right rear door won't open.  I fixed the left front door which wasn't working also because the rod that runs from the handle had dropped off, but this is a different issue.  The rod actuates the latch, but I can't open the damn door!  The latch moves and 'feels' like it moves but the door is stuck fast.  I've tried kicking it out from the inside but it just won't budge.

I can't take the door off at the other end because although I can get to the hinges I can't get to the sliding bar thing with the pin in it with the door closed to take it off that end.

WHAT DO I DO?!

If you slide the front seat forward, and pull the bottom of the rear seat, and remove the trim on the "B" pillar, you can remove the door card on the rear door.

Had to do so on Son's '88 for the same reason, door wouldn't open. That one was due to failing latch mechanism, but I was able to get to the latch and get it open.

ok heres what you do roll the window down all the way take a light and look down to the lach on one side will be the lever to relase door other side is the lock. The outside door handle lever that gos to latch sticks down pull it up or mauanly push over the latch to right i use a 2ft long snapon flat screwdriver for this and patence

Sweet as fellas!  Thanks very much for your help.  Not having much luck doing it from down beside window, Ivan.  Can get the latch move but still can't open door!  Will take trim off this afternoon and get my hand in there and try a bit harder.  Thank you both for your help, everyone here is such a great resource!

On our 86 wagon the screws holding the rods from the latch to the handles were stripped, allowing the whole thing to "bend" instead of --- it would v   ....someone else had been in there and made the screws unremovable. solution: big fat ziptie on the joint so theres no flex. 

this was the third time (and last hopefully) Ive tried to solve that problem. hth