Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Key Broken In Door Lock

Well guys, I'm bored and need something to do. My Loyale is currently in great working condition, which bugs me. I have nothing to work on.  :banghead: Well, all the projects I still need to do cost way too much at the moment. Figured I'd try to fix something small that has been an issue for some time now.

January 3, 2013. A cold winter morning. I came out to my car, only to find my door locks were frozen (not the first time it has happened). I guess this is when power locks come in handy, but I hate power options. After about twenty minutes, I finally managed to unlock my door. In the process of doing so, I weakened my key. So fast forward a few hours, and I'm about to drive home. Go to unlock my door, and half of the key shears off. One half on my key ring, the other half deep in the key hole. Luckily, I always carry two spare keys with me, so I was able to start her up and drive home.

After fiddling with some tools, I was unable to remove the broken key from my driver's door. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get the broken key out. I've tried multiple times over the seven months since the incident occurred, but to no avail. That broken key is still in my driver's door, which makes it so I can't lock my door. I have to keep my door unlocked, and considering I always carry my tools with me, it's worrying.

So basically, do you guys have any methods to get broken keys out of locks? Maybe I just don't have the right tools, and wondering what I should buy that will most likely work. First thing that comes to mind is a magnet, but a keyhole is really small. Not sure what magnets would fit. I've heard jigsaw blades might work, but I haven't tried that. Have you guys experienced this before? Broken a key in the door and unable to get it out?

Maybe also give some tips on how to prevent this. I purchased some lock de-icer back in January, but never was able to tell if it worked since it never got that cold again. It has made my locks easier to turn though. When I was at Ace Hardware having them copy my key again, I asked about a "stronger" key. But they said all keys are made from the same material. 

You could pull the lock cylinder out and take it to a locksmith.  It shouldn't cost much more than $15.00 or so to get it fixed. Failing that, get a spare lock cylinder from a junk yard and have a locksmith key it to your ignition key. Then when you have time just pull yours out and replace it.

Edited by Crazyeights

bummer  i did the same thing to my impreza  its no fun geting it out i had to pull the entire lock assembly out  of the door the tumblers in side the lock past the brake had to be depressed in order to get the broken part out i had to push it out from the back side with a fine screw driver while holding the tumblers open  its not realy that hard but the space is tight in the door

Hmm, I'm definitely not looking to take the door apart. I mean, the broken part isn't stuck in there. I just don't have a way to pull it out. Maybe the right needle nose pliers or something could get it. I feel like taking the cylinder out would be more work than it needs to be. Thanks for the ideas though.

Year and model would help.  Assuming it is an Old Gen, pulling the cylinder isn't that hard, and then you can either deal with it or let a locksmith do it.  I have removed, cleaned, and reinstalled several locks cylinders, and the only complicated part was making sure the pins get reassembled in the proper places.

It's a '90 Loyale. Can't imagine there would be differences between the EA82 models, besides whether it's power/manual locks. Which, I have manual locks. Maybe a little guide would help me decide whether it's worth pulling the cylinder or not.

depending on if you know what your doing you can take off the door card and take out the lock cylinder in less than 5 minutes with all the proper tools and be on your way to the lock smith or you could get some advice from your lock smith  to see whats the best way to get the key out.

Obviously I don't know what I am doing, haha. Too bad I don't know of any locksmiths, but I guess it's not hard to find one on Google.

Any special tools to get to the cylinder? If it's just normal screws/bolts, than I might just do it. I still strongly believe that with the right tool, I can pull the key out. I just need to grip onto the broken key and pull it out.

I might try the tweezers. I've got a pair, but I'm afraid the keyhole will be too small. Every tool I have that could work doesn't fit, which is annoying. I'm thinking this is a project I should spend an entire afternoon experimenting with different tools, trying to get it out.

well, you can do what the locksmiths do and use a "broken key extractorJP-5.jpg which is a small thin harpoon like thing you put in next to the key and use it to pull it out. http://www.lockpickshop.com/JP-5.html

or you can put a small dab of super glue on the end on a matchstick and hold it very carefully to the end of the key and try to pull it out that way

Edited by AKghandi

Thanks for the link and idea. I might just try the glue on a stick technique. Just gotta be careful not to get glue all inside the lock cylinder, since I don't think that'd help my situation, haha. I'll probably try that, and if it doesn't work, I might just buy an extractor. I've heard a jigsaw blades work because they're small and shaped kinda like that. But I'm sure an actual key extractor works better.

Maybe I'll try Autozone too. Too bad the nearest Autozone is about a 30 minute drive. I wish the O'Reilly (10 minute drive) had a better rental/return policy, haha. I remember watching that video when I first broke the key. Either I didn't have the tools or the methods didn't work (or didn't apply).

It's always kinda annoying, being parked on a busy street, messing with the door lock on the car. I swear, it looks like I'm trying to break in.  ;)

you can make a key extractor from a hack saw blade, jigsaw blades are too thick. EDIT: the saw blade in that video is a coping saw not a jig saw

use this to make a template, if you want to do it cheap http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://bp1.blogger.com/_lMQ5Db_njX8/SHk4vGbSoyI/AAAAAAAAAFw/irFu8GhenA8/s400/picks1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.h-i-r.net/2008/07/make-your-own-lock-picks-part-3.html&h=320&w=400&sz=28&tbnid=Dq0JR8rm7T8hMM:&tbnh=91&tbnw=114&zoom=1&usg=__u63DHxPG6eeuU0Mc3chTa6zWCeY=&docid=x03DeqXE4EVAtM&sa=X&ei=ubzZUb77NML5igKz5YDABw&sqi=2&ved=0CDsQ9QEwBA&dur=2384

I know lots of stuff about this because i'm a novice locksmith, its a fun hobby that has come in handy many times lol

Edited by AKghandi
  • Like 1

Okay, good news is I got the broken key out. After playing with a fondue fork, it came out far enough for my pliers to grab it.

Bad news is, I can't turn the lock. I locked/unlocked it from the inside a hundred times, and it locks/unlocks fine. I sprayed a bunch of lock de-icer (also works as a lubricant) into it, but it didn't help much. I put my key in, all the way, but I can't turn it either way.

I tried a known good spare key, and it made no difference. I'm thinking maybe the pins are stuck or something, and I just need to break 'em loose or something? I wish I was a locksmith, since I think locks are cool. I definitely envy those with lock skills.

Too bad I don't have a rubber mallet, haha. But I went out there and gave it a beating with my hand. Still no luck. I might try again tomorrow, but it's still unable to turn. I'm sure with enough experimentation, I can knock 'em loose. Thanks for the tips guys!  :) I'll be happy when I can finally lock my door again.