Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Falls flat on it's face when it's cold and wet out

The PandaWagon has developed this incredible hatred towards cold wet weather. On my way to work this morning, I took off from a light, got through 1st, 2nd, then to about 4K in 3rd, and it bucked and sputtered something fierce. AFRs hit 7:1, at one point. I could watch it, as I approached 4K, the AFRs would just start going mad rich. This happens only if I'm more than 2/3ds throttle and above 4K RPMS. It was that way all the way to work. If I kept the RPMS below 4K, I could use as much throttle as I wanted. But if I was above 4K, then it would start being ridiculously stupid with more than 2/3ds throttle. It was in the mid 60's this morning and fairly humid. Not sure if that would make a difference. It first showed up on Saturday on my way into town. But only once. One of those "What was that?!?" kind of moments.

Here's the specs:

This is my 87 Wagon with an EJ swap.  It's an EJ25D running on 92 Legacy computer and wiring. TSUDO UEL header with high flow cat, and 2.25" cat back. Intake is a custom SRI grabbing air from the fender.

I need to do some errands later today, will see if it does it again in the warmer weather.

So, I took it out later today and it hiccuped once. I backed out of the throttle, then got back in and it leaned out. I let it pull to about 5000, but the AFRs started getting too close to 16:1, so I backed off and the ratios dropped back to around 14-15:1. Car is not happy at all. I'm gonna take it easy on the way home and do some serious snooping under that hood.

I don't know what it's problem is. But, this wet weather is wreaking havoc of the PandaWagon. It longs for those 10% humidity days.

humidity = usually ignition related.  i'd check the following.  and when were #1 & #2 replaced and what brand is used:

1.  spark plugs

2.  wires

3.  coil

you probably know but EJ engines are not very forgiving of non-OEM plugs and wires...or they at least need to be high quality wires.

Edited by grossgary

I found it:

1002251_173052106200516_3528103_n.jpg

Huh.....

995422_173052329533827_1934221199_n.jpg

Well, that might make a difference.

Pulled that out and no more bucking bronco in the cold and wet! :huh:  I have lost my cold air intake, but at least the engine can breathe again. :)

No, it's far stronger than that. That flexible hose came with the K&N filter. It was almost a cardboard material - reminded me of the flexible hose you get for the heat risers on carbed cars. I plan on getting actual pipe and plumb it that way.