Ultimate Subaru Message Board

06 Impreza Outback Sport grinding sound when turning left?

Hello, I am working on a 2006 Impreza Outback Sport wagon AT 2.5l that has a grinding sound from the rear ( think it's right side ) when turning left. The car had new brake pads and rotors about one month ago, this problem developed 2 days ago. Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance, George

So I lifted the rear and couldn't feel and end play when pushing, pulling,etc on wheel so I pulled caliper and discovered the rubbing was between the rotor and the lip on backing plate that separates E brake form disc brake. I found it unusual that the scrape mark on rotor was 360 deg but mark on backing plate lip was about an inch long, I would have figured the aftermarket rotor to be the culprit.. I dressed affected area on lip and keep removing material until the rotor test fit didn't scrape. Reassembled brakes, put wheel on and went on test drive to find very little difference. Still scrapes on left turn, so now my questions are:

Was there bearing end play and I couldn't invoke it with hands?

Will tightening axle nut remove play?

Should I replace wheel bearing?

If the scraping had started after the rotor was replaced I would have no problem pointing to it as problem, now I can't come to any other conclusion other than excessive deflection or excessive end play.

Any ideas guys?

George