Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Why do I find it so hard to believe no one on this site has replaced their rear struts?

Well, from my other post, 341065 is 1/2 to 1" too short, and depending on the site you look at, or where on that particular site, they do NOT say they fit a 4x4 wagon. Kinda frustrating. That's what I bought and they don't fit.

But I'm on the right track...even though when I measure the 341065, I get 20.5", the websites say they're 17.something"

So if I buy something around an inch longer than that...maybe it'll work...

I'm going to call the dealership and see what they say.

Thanks.

• Like 1

From advanced autos own site/words on that kyb model:

Strut Assembly; Excel-G; Rear; Sedan; 4WD; Recommended OE Replacement; 2 Req.

Doesn't say wagon. I would (and did) assume they'd be the same....I was wrong.

No I don't expect you to be all knowing of all my posts, its cool.

That's why I started a new one...I just can't believe there isn't someone here who has replaced their rear struts with stock equivalents, who can say "these work, they're what I used". With all the Loyales out there, and all the people on this site, it's just surprising.

But I'll figure it out, I hope, and I'll post my results very clearly so someone else searching the same topic can find it...

Yeah...a couple things.

I don't like Monroe, it doesn't say 4wd, and even though it might just be a "stock photo", the photo is definitely not of the shock I need.

I got a part number from the dealership, so maybe I can find what I need using that...we'll see. Thanks!

Yep, that's what I'm running into.

This is fun!

Well, I guess I decided my time is worth more than my money...I just ordered them from Subaru for $74 each. I'm done doing all this research.

Thanks for the help.

I'll report back if the ones from Subaru don't fit...

Why would the sedan struts be any different? I've swapped struts between sedans and wagons plenty of times and didn't notice any difference in ride height on any of my EA82s, and I like plenty of clearance so I tend to pay attention. I could see there being a difference between 2wd and 4wd as the trailing arm mount is lower on the 2wd models... I've had 4wd struts on a 2wd and it still rode low. I think the difference is in the mount on the trailing arm but I could be a little off on that.

Well... The thing about replacing stock with... stock... Is that... The way I look at it... I typically get slightly excited when something breaks. Because... I get to replace it with my choice of part, flavor. It can be catered towards this and that. That's what makes things different. Custom. Though like @scoobiedubie said, U-Pull-Its are a great way to go. I've obtained countless parts from yards. It's fun. And cheaper. And typically... What you need is there. Best of luck.

Yep, and I agree, even though $70 is almost twice what I've found (that didn't fit) in the aftermarket, it's still not too bad.

I love my Subaru...but I'm a toyota guy. This car is just a car. A great one, but just a car. I'm not going to get into it and keep everything perfect and study all the mods I can do and learn all the ins and outs. I'm going to drive it and keep up the maintenance. That's it.

And yeah, you'd sure think sedan would be the same as wagon. If it is, then the shocks they're selling for the sedans don't fit the sedans either, because they sure as hell don't fit my wagon. I'm not speaking from opinion, I'm saying I ordered the 4wd sedan shocks and they are TOO SHORT.

Heres some good info about the rear shocks:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/134704-differences-between-4wd-and-2wd-ea82-struts/?hl=%2Bea82+%2Brear+%2Bshock&do=findComment&comment=1132527

I can confirm that my stationwagon and sedan (both EA82 body) had different height rear struts. When I installed rear shocks from a parted wagon to my sedan my tail was about 2 inches higher than it was with the original shocks/springs and both were 4WD cars. 2WD rear shocks sits about 2" lower than the 4WD ones since they have the lower spring mounting plate lower than the 4WD versions do.

Edited by -tombba-

2WD rear shocks sits about 2" lower than the 4WD ones since they have the lower spring mounting plate lower than the 4WD versions do.

This is incorrect.

2wd struts are LONGER. 

The mount on the trailing arm is lower on 2wds. 

Installing 4wd struts on a 2wd will lower the car.

There is no difference in the upper mounting between sedans/wagons.

There are a few variations in excact ride height between sedan/wagons but all 4wd shocks should be within about 3/4" of the same.  Again, the 2wd ones a 2" longer.