Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1995 Legacy L (AWD) struts

strut 1995 legacy complete

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ironmanco

ironmanco

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 09 July 2013 - 05:38 PM

Any suggestions on where I can get complete reman'd struts for this car. Looking high and low and have only found the cartrigdge and since I need springs, seats, boots etc, I figured it would just be easier to get a complete strut. I just can't seem to find it anywhere.

#2 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 06:44 PM

I've never seen a quick strut for these cars you'll have to buy everything separate for all new parts.

#3 oregoncoast

oregoncoast

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Oregon Coast

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:28 PM

I have stock struts from a 1999 Legacy L wagon, but I would bet shipping would probably be ridiculous.   You'd want to replace the strut themselves, but they are complete.

#4 ironmanco

ironmanco

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:40 AM

Okay - Rock auto here I come. I was thinking I could get away without having to pull the strut apart, but I just borrowed a spring compressor and I'm going to have at it. The soob ('95 legacy w/186k) I'm going to be doing this on still has it's original struts. I'm gearing up to have all the parts on hand (seats, bellows, etc) and waffling on springs. Any reason folks can think of that I would need to replace the springs as well? What about the strut mounts?

#5 oregoncoast

oregoncoast

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts
  • Oregon Coast

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

This will not be hard.  Just swap out all of the hardware from the original strut.   Re-use everything but the strut itself.  No problems.  Just take your time with the strut compressor....not sure what kind you have...but use the kind that is designed for Macpherson struts...it works much better and has safety pins to help keep it from slipping off.  The rentals are free from places like Autozone, O'reilly's, etc.   I seem to be switching out struts so much, I just kept it the last time I rented it and let them charge my credit card for it.

Edited by oregoncoast, 10 July 2013 - 08:14 AM.

#6 ironmanco

ironmanco

New User

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Colorado

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:24 AM

I'm not concerned about  the difficulty of it (or lack thereof :-) but rather what folks have found with a close to 200k soob with
regards to the other parts of the strut needing to be replaced. Typically is it only the strut or have folks found that seats, mounts, etc also tend to wear out in that time? Optimally, I pull the strut off, inspect it, then decide what parts are needed. Unfortunately I don't have the luxury of that and want to
have all parts on hand that I may need - and then just return what I don't. So, I'm trying to get an idea of what parts - other than the strut - I should be
considering. Possibly, nothing else :-)

#7 heartless

heartless

Do YOU Subaru?

• Members
  • 2,858 posts
  • North Central Wisconsin

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:13 AM

It is very common to reuse the springs & tophats - dont usually need to replace those items unless something is broken, and that would (should) be pretty obvious when you take them out of the car.

You can jack it up, take the wheels off and inspect the springs for any obvious damage, but chances are they are fine. Make sure you swap over the rubber sping seat cushions as well.

You will probably want to take the car in for an alignment when you are done - you can get it pretty close by marking the positions of the 2 lower bolts (at the hub) - one is cammed (upper, i think) and controls camber setting - but for proper tire wear, I would have it done right.

One last thing to note - do not overtighten the tophat bolts when reinstalling - they dont need much torque (around 14-15 ft/lbs) and will break if overtorqued.

here is a suspension diagram for a 95 Legacy.

#8 86BRATMAN

86BRATMAN

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,427 posts
  • Tazewell Virginia

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:25 AM

The task itself really isn't difficult.  Word of advice though, on the fronts your upper knuckle connecting bolt is the camber adjustment.  Mark its position before loosening it so that you can get your camber adjustment back in check, and only turn on the nut while holing the bolt head with a wrench, you can damage the eccentric if you go ripping on the bolt trying to remove it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users