Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Won't start

Putting the insides back together today. I've got the gauges in and it won't start. turns over, dash lights come on, heater comes on. The gas gauge does not. So, it turns over but won't start.

I'm headed back out to try and track it down. I'm sure I missed plugging some wires in somewhere.

I had this happen when I did my tranny swap.  It had a strong crank, but would not start.  It turned out I unintentionally pulled a couple of vaccum fittings apart not realizing it.  Once back together, it started right up.  Just a thought.

can't find a vacuum leak. I think it's more of a wiring thing.

when I turn on the head lights the dash lights shut off, the relay starts buzzing and only the marker lights come on. It could be the relay, I'm more likely to believe I've got some wires crossed

Did you have your instrument cluster out? Sound very similar to a problem I had. I was changing lightbulbs and scratched the circuit board severing the connection causing my gas, volt, temp, and oil pressure gauges to stop working. But I could still start the car........

Edited by jonas

it's hooked up, but just sitting there. I don't think I scratched the circuit, but at this point I might tear it apart and put it back together, just to be sure.

Does the cluster need to be connected for the car to start?

Edited by Godsmulligan

ok here's some photos... Tip: if anyone takes apart the inside like this, use a paint pin to draw a line on both the male and female connectors before you disconnect them. That way you know the connectors that were connected, and you can match up the lines to see which one goes to which. :banghead:  Captain Hindsight to the rescue!

Is this really the only thing that hooks up from this? EDIT: nope had a bunch hiding behind fan.
post-47847-0-14792500-1373501297_thumb.jpg

Behind the stereo

post-47847-0-26139900-1373501299_thumb.jpg

The wires I've been hooking up to my dash cluster

post-47847-0-22362700-1373501301_thumb.jpg

I don't belive this green connector hooks up to anything

post-47847-0-46616300-1373501303_thumb.jpg

under the column

post-47847-0-03118300-1373501307_thumb.jpg

I don't belive this hooks up to anything either

post-47847-0-98238800-1373501311_thumb.jpg

Heres two wire. The one with the the fish eye is hot and blew my ignition coil fuse when I grounded it. Didn't think to check it to see if it was hot since it's black. The car does run without this hooked up, just not the fuel pump. The other one is to the speaker, I belive.

post-47847-0-54684100-1373501315_thumb.jpg

Edited by Godsmulligan

hi,

i had some weird light and guage problems,  was told about a similar ground wire ,, it sure fixed mine.  OK  that blk wire in your picture the one with the fish eye connector,,  look for a wire just like that one,  comming out of the main wiring harness near where it comes inside the car,  its some few inches from where it enters the cab ,, anyway it is black wire just like that , aprox 5-6 inches long , and with the same round connector, it is like near the steering column and behind the computer area,, but if you can follow the main harness you should see it , that one is the ground that was key to all my electrical weirdness,  and it's  been perfect ever since.

Went to junk yard today, while I was there I checked out the brat wiring, and yes Obi Wan, that is the ground wire I'm looking for. Now I just have to figure out why it has power running to it. Yup, the black wire with the fish eye was it all along. Ooh, you're a wascally wabbit, you have vexed me to no end.

Edit- END NOTE: ground out the wire and the fuel pump started working, the headlights came on and she fired right up. Just had to ground it out before the power started flowing to it.

Is this wire hot with the key on because of power that needs to be grounded out or because there is a short somewhere?

Thanks everyone for your help. I didn't even have to torch the car. :Flame:

Edited by Godsmulligan

The reason you saw voltage on the ground wire was because voltage was applied to the circuit but no current was flowing. The circuit was open, just like it would be if there was a switch in line and it was turned off. Whenever you have an open circuit with power going to it you will measure about the full supply voltage at any point of that open circuit. When the connection to ground is made then current can flow normally and the voltage drop will now appear across any load in that circuit. It there is more than one load in series with that circuit then the loads will share the voltage being supplied to it.  

• Like 1