Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Transmission Grinding

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 soob_newb

soob_newb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 09 July 2013 - 09:51 PM

I just swapped a 5sp into my EA81 I have the clutch adjusted correctly I believe, but it still grinds going into 2nd gear and it has begun doing it going into 4th as well.  It is worse down shifting than up shifting.  I have also tried double clutching to no avail.  Ideas?  I am running the EA81 flywheel and pressure plate with the EA82 clutch.  Could this be it?

#2 scoobiedubie

scoobiedubie

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 455 posts
  • Aloha, Oregon

Posted 09 July 2013 - 11:47 PM

Synchromeshing could be shot on those gears. 

#3 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 10 July 2013 - 12:00 AM

Trying uninstalling and reinstalling your shifter and the mechanisms involved. You say... It started with 2nd, then 4th? Fourth wasn't doing it to begin with? And... Were you aware of the tranny's condition before you put it in? Or was it supposed to be... Clean?

#4 soob_newb

soob_newb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 02:26 AM

I drove the parts car it came out of home.  I don't remember any grinding or anything to that effect.  The only thing I remeber being an issue was the clutch being shot and having to nurse it home.  Can you elaborate on the uninstalling the shifter and said machanisms?  I am not really sure what you mean by that.  When I did the tranny swap, I only changed the 4wd linkage.  I never even detached the regular linkage.

#5 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,019 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:04 AM

You must have done something with the linkage to put the 5spd into an ea81.

#6 soob_newb

soob_newb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 10 July 2013 - 11:36 AM

There was a bolt right at the back of the tunnel opening already, just like in the ea82. The length fit perfectly too.

#7 Subaru_dude

Subaru_dude

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,473 posts
  • Morristown, TN

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:31 PM

You must have done something with the linkage to put the 5spd into an ea81.

Nobody said it was a 4wd... :P

#8 soob_newb

soob_newb

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • Olympia

Posted 12 July 2013 - 02:24 AM

Nobody said it was a 4wd... :P

??? Not sure I am following you on this.  I said I swapped the 4wd linkage, but that was it.  Swapping the 4wd linkage shouldn't affect the regular shifting, should it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users