Ultimate Subaru Message Board

neutral bypass on 2008 impreza outback sport

I've been having some issues with my car revving up (I think to about 2100 rpm) when I push the clutch in and the car is in motion. The dealership said it was just the computer learning my driving habits again and the problem would go away in a few weeks (the car had some.major damage to the front right due to previous owner hitting a huge pothole and it needed some major repairs). The problem didn't go away so I took it to my actual mechanic (have had bad experiences with dealership) and they added (or removed?) The neutral bypass which cured the problem. They said if the check engine light came on later to let them know.

The light came (the code indicates its the neutral bypass and the steering angle sensor) and the car is scheduled.to.go to the shop tomorrow. I'm unsure if they're going to charge me an hours worth of labor to undo what they did. If they do want to charge me, is this something easy that I can do myself? I googled but didn't find anything directly related to my car... One Google result made it look like it was just a jumper that could be pulled off.

The steering angle sensor was recently replaced by the dealership so I'm assuming they'll have some sort of warranty on their work.

Any help?

Edited by ahreno

The actual neutral switch is in the transmission.  However if what they adjusted/tweaked is related to when you depress the clutch pedal, that's something completely different.

If they just jumpered the neutral safety switch under the car it shouldn't be too big a deal to just plug in the connector again, but without knowing what exactly they did, I don't know if we can accurately tell you what needs to be done.

Manual trans doesn't have a neutral safety switch.

I hav no idea what a neutral bypass switch is supposed to be, but it doesn't sound right.

Too difficult to say what they did but obviously it didnt work. Make them correct the problem regardless. That's why you took it to them in the first place. If the CEL is on because of something the shop "fixed", then obviously they didnt fix it the right way. You've already paid them, don't pay them another dime.