Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Is it possible to find out, or are there, full length descriptions of these NHSTA reports and TSB's?

NHTSA 10002989

TSB 063103

Summary of the bulletin says:

REPLACEMENT OF THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT (ECU) FOR ANTI-LOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) REPAIR. *TT UPDATE. *TT

Is there more than that...diagnostics, symptoms?

from what I was able to find out, there is more info, but you either have to pay NHTSA (min of $45) for a search or AllDataDIY ($26.95/yr for one vehicle) to get it (no guarantees the info you are looking for is available on there, tho) - or, you could possibly get it from a dealer service department if you have a working relationship with one...

Basically, the detailed information contained in the TSBs is not available to the general public...

• 3 weeks later...

Got this TSB for Subaru ABS systems.  I wasn't able to find it anywhere so here it is...or some of it.

Overview:  It's basically just replacement procedures and part numbers for the controller - making it a separate unit where as before it was considered part of the ABS hydraulic unit assembly I suppose.

FUNNY: Subaru actually says "with a small piece of wood" instead of some obscure subaru specific mount.  Wow, since when does Subaru commend using a piece of 2x4 lying in the garage!

1997-04 MY Legacy, Outback, Baja (excluding VDC)

1998-04 Impreza and Forester

Subject:
Replacement of ECU for ABS Repair

Intro:
In order to improve serviceability of ABS system, the ECU was subdivided and has been newly established as a spare part. This service bulletin details the part numbers and replacement procedures of the ECU as a spare part.

Procedure:

1 Turn off ignition switch

2 Disconnect negative terminal from battery

3 Disconnect air intake duct from Air Box

4  Remove the air cleaner case from the inner fender

NOTE: When removing the ECU, the brake pipes remain connected

1. disconnect all electrical connections from the ECU (top and bottom)
2. Remove the two installation bolts (M8) from the bracket of the hydraulic unit and the ECU assembly

3. Lift he hydraulic uni and the ECU assembly from the bracket by about 5cm (0.2 inches) and support it with a small piece of wood.

CAUTION: Be careful not to deform the brake pipe during this procedure.

4.  Unlock the connector for the motor power source and disconnect the connector as shown in figure 2.

5. Remove the 6 torx head screws (T20) which join the hydraulic unit and the ECU

NOTE: Do not reuse the torx head screws once removed

6  Remove the ECU from the hydraulic unit by pulling it gently.

It shows some intricate reinstallation with a specific tightening sequence but i can't imagine anyone caring about that....i sure don't and am not about to type it all up.

Ah cool, missed the MY's in the attachment.

Kinda forgot manufacturers use these TSBs for change 'communication' to dealers, etc., not just problems.

Thanks again for the info!

Edited by nickb21

How would I know if I need to do this? ( we have an 03 H6 OBW).

If you had ABS issues that pointed to ECU failure.  ABS inoperative, with light and codes, etc.

This isn't a recall, it's documentation for ECU replacement as a distinctly separate item to be replaced where before it would seem the entire hydraulic unit/ECU had to be replaced together as an assembly.  This TSB just formally separates the two into two distinct parts and part numbers....something mechanically inclined folks probably would have done without this TSB anyway.

If you had ABS issues that pointed to ECU failure.  ABS inoperative, with light and codes, etc.

This isn't a recall, it's documentation for ECU replacement as a distinctly separate item to be replaced where before it would seem the entire hydraulic unit/ECU had to be replaced together as an assembly.  This TSB just formally separates the two into two distinct parts and part numbers....something mechanically inclined folks probably would have done without this TSB anyway.

Ah, got it. It saves you from opening the lines and then having to bleed the system for a strictly electronic problem.