Ultimate Subaru Message Board

help! rear wgn wiper won't turn off!

Guest jclay

the subject heading says it all, in the off position the wiper keeps wiping. my guess is a bad switch or connection. Any input? is it possible to access thru the stearing column?

any input is greatly appreciated!

(94 legacy LGT)

I'm not at all sure about that, but the rear wiper switch is maybe a «grounding switch», meaning it puts the motor to ground.

If that was the case, you might begin by opening the rear hatch inside cover and have a look to see if a wire is not grounded accidentaly. Where the wires exit the body and enters the hatch door might be a likely place to look first.

If you dont find anything, at least you'll be able to temporarily disconnect the motor (I'm not sure the fuse that controls it is only for the rear wiper). Hope you get more detailed info from others.

Actually, the way you described it isn't the case. The switch acutally activates a relay for the rear wiper motor. This relay could be stuck closed causing the wiper to run continuously. It could also be that the switch at the column is defective. Just simply disconnect the motor.

Yup, what RC said. On the diagram for my '96, the switch sends a ground to pin 2 of the relay, which enegizes it and sends the 12 volts coming in to the relay on pin 4 out pin 3 to the motor. The contacts could have arced together.

You should be able to check the relay. My guess is it's under the panel beneath the steering column.

Tiny

Guest jclay

thanks all for the input, i guess i know what i'm doing on saturday. if all else fails, would it be possible to splice in a simple switch into the wiring? if so, does anyone know how the wires are run? i haven't had a chance to check my chiltons.

thanks again,

jared