Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil Leaking Outback 2.5L (Cam Seal)

I have a pretty good oil leak and I have read here that it is probably the oil pump o-ring, but I can only find a "Front Crank Seal" and not an o-ring. It is located in the oil pump though. Is this the same part? Also, I am at 84,000 miles. What else would you recommend I service while doing the seal/o-ring repair? I was planning on the timing belt and cam seals, but was not sure of the water pump, thermostat, tenision pullies, etc.

Thanks

the crank seal is where the crank extends through the oil pump. there is a separate o-ring where the oil pump meets the block. to change it, you have to remove the oil pump and reseal it to the block. as a dealer - it should be about a buck for a new o-ring. you should also change the crank seal while you are in there - its cheap too. tstat and water pump are good pm if you are planning on keeping the car, but they will probably last you till 150k or so. do check the idlers to see if any are dry... one of mine was at 72k.

I didn't have the o-ring when I resealed my pump last week, but it looked to me like they went around the o-ring port with sealant on original install anyway.

I did the same, but opted to use Permatex #2 non-hardening Perm-a-gasket because I didn't want to do it again. I've never found anything that works better to keep oil from leaking thru. I also sealed up the passenger side rear cam bearing cover with the same stuff.

i had oil leaking from the bottom of my timing cover, it was the crank seal, it was easy to replace, i did not replaced the cam seals they were all dry. replaced water pump, and timing belt also. i have a 1997 legacy gt 2.5dohc. The job took about 1 1/2 hours, i did it with air tools and a lift though.