Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1986 xt turbo revs high

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 neximile

neximile

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • new port richey

Posted 13 July 2013 - 01:26 PM

Hello,
We have a 1986 xt turbo. one day it started bogging down, runnuing very rough. Than it stalled. Now when I start it it revs very very high (2-3000 rpms. Have to shut it off quiickly. Also sounds like the turbo is running.. Anyone have any thoughts? Also, how can I check the ECU codes on this? Thanks.

Edited by neximile, 13 July 2013 - 02:22 PM.

#2 naru

naru

1000+ Super USER!

• Members
  • 1,768 posts
  • under the bridge

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:13 PM

You have a vacuum leak.
Unmetered air upset the mixture causing rough running.
The (normal) extra rich starting mixture combines w/the extra air giving high revs on start up.
Start by checking for cracked or disconnected vacuum hoses.There are other possibile leak locations.

Codes are unlikely to help.
Check them by connecting the unconnected diagnostic jumper wires and observing the LED ON THE ECU.
Not sure of thier location or colour on an 86 XT.Possibly green and under the dash.

#3 neximile

neximile

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • new port richey

Posted 13 July 2013 - 02:55 PM

Thank You very much Naru. I will do that. I also just found this when I removed the hood over the turbo. A wiring harness was wrapped around it and it appears to be damaged. One end of it goes to the carburator and starting solenoid. Could that be the problem?

Need to edit this post. Looking at it again. I see that one end of the wiring harness goes to the distributor and starting solenoid. Not the carburator. Djellum, you are right. There is no carburator in our XT. Sorry for the missspeak. 

Edited by neximile, 14 July 2013 - 08:44 AM.

#4 djellum

djellum

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 603 posts
  • Vancouver WA

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:22 PM

the car doesnt have a carb, it will be fuel injected.  least ways unless someone has swapped something but I seriously doubt it.  id still shoot for vacuum leak, visual inspection of the hoses first, replace what you find.  if you cant find a leak, it wont kill it to leave it running at 2500 or so while you spray some carb cleaner on the hoses to check for leaks you cant see.  just spray a little bit and listen to the motor noise, if it changes inspect that area more closely.

id repair the wires too if they are damaged, no sense leaving a problem.

#5 neximile

neximile

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • new port richey

Posted 13 July 2013 - 03:36 PM

Thank You very much Djellum. I will do that.

#6 neximile

neximile

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts
  • new port richey

Posted 14 July 2013 - 09:00 AM

Hello, I am trying to post pictures of my Subaru.  Any help on how to post pictures would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users