Ultimate Subaru Message Board

#1 cylinder not firing

1987 GL10 single port fuel injected

Non turbo

Automatic

2wd

55K original miles

I changed the MAF sensor a few days ago (due to non starting). When I got the car started I noticed it was idling rough and even stalled when I put it in gear. So I pulled all the plug wires one at a time (engine running) and when I pull cylinders 2,3 and 4 the engine runs worse. But when I pull #1 wire the engine has no change. So I changed the #1 plug, wires, distributor cap and rotor and pulled #1... still dead. I took the #1 wire off, put the old plug in the end of the wire and ran a jumper wire from the old plug to the new plug (still in the engine) and the old plug (exposed) fires the plug consistantly.

I took the new plug out of the engine and the cylinder has good compression... Which tells me there is fuel issue, but with the single point fuel injection why would it feed all the cylinders except #1????

When in park it idles around 700-800 rpm. In drive it idles around 500-600.

Any ideas why the #1 cylinder is not firing or why the engine is suddonly running rough?

Thanks

Frank T

id say the missfire would be number 1 as to why its running rough.

leaky intake gaskets can kill a cylindar and weaken the others, and of course if your vavles aren't opening correctly you can have compression but no intake charge as well. 

the SPFI still pulses fuel, but i dont know if it pulses for each cylindar individually or if it just pulses at a rate for the RPM's.

I dont really know off hand what is the most likely, but i would probably check the intake gaskets

87 GL-10 would be mpfi with 4 injectors. maybe your car is an 86? 

Nope.  Non-turbo MPFI was dropped for the GL-10 in 87.  All 2wd non-turbo cars that year are SPFI  (excluding XT)

86 2wd non-turbo GL-10 would also be SPFI

85  2wd Non-turbo GL-10 would be MPFI

85 4wd Non-turbo GL-10 would be carbed

He's got an SPFI car.

My suggestion would be to do a leakdown, not just a compression check.  Burnt or hung up valve can still show pretty good compression.

I found a very small vacuum hose disconnected on the same side as the #1 cylinder!!!

I Hooked it up and it smoothed out the idle. Why this was acting like the #1 cylinder not firing??? Im assuming it was pulling vacuum from near the #1 cylinder///

Im just glad it was something simple.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Edited by Frank T

I found a very small vacuum hose disconnected on the same side as the #1 cylinder!!!

I Hooked it up and it smoothed out the idle. Why this was acting like the #1 cylinder not firing??? Im assuming it was pulling vacuum from near the #1 cylinder///

Im just glad it was something simple.

Thanks for everyone's input!!

Because #1 was not firing.

Vacuum leak leaned out the mixture for #1 to the point of incumbustibility

• 1 month later...