Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Impreza 2.5 TS, whats going on here?

Hey guys, don't know much about my engine but my check engine light is on, and down around the catalytic converter i see this... and it doesn't look good.  I've got a 2002 Impreza 2.5 TS sport wagon.  Any help would be most appreciated.

post-48656-0-21604900-1373839018_thumb.jpg

Well what you have pictured there is a front cat, and p0420 is the rear cat. I think the code description is something like "cat system below efficiency." Sometimes it's caused by a bad rear cat, often it's caused by a bad rear o2 sensor. Usually it has nothing to do with the front cat, at least, that's not the correct place to start. I'd start by changing out the rear o2 sensor.

Edited by 987687
  • Like 1

I would go get my money back for the cat first.

That code is a pariah of the Subaru world. There are dozens of causes for that code and the cats are almost never at fault. They always get replaced, and the code almost always comes right back.

I would start by doing a simple tune-up. Spark plugs, new air and fuel filters, PCV valve. Run a bottle of strong fuel system cleaner like Lucas in the next tank.

• Like 1