Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Swaping out trunk panels in outback wagon.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gravitate

gravitate

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 14 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

I own a 99 outback wagon. I am a mechanic and the grease and dirt in my trunk really gunks up the cloth panels. I was wondering if I could install the trunk trim from a 90 to 94 legacy wagon in my 99. I really like the plastic panels and the jack door and storage door in the legacys. These cloth doors keep falling off. Also I was hoping that if I can swap them out then I would be able to have the rear speakers in the rear strut towers. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

#2 Rooster2

Rooster2

Subaru Master

• Members
  • 3,676 posts
  • Indianapolis

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:06 AM

I own a 99 OBW now, previously drove a 91 Leggie wagon, so I am familiar with both. The cars are similar in size, but I doubt if the panels are interchangeable. Guess you could buy the 90-94 panels from a u-pull wrecking yard on the cheap, and see what you could swap in. Maybe with some cutting and fitting you may get something to fit, but I doubt that it would look good.

#3 johnceggleston

johnceggleston

Lite Master of the Subaru

• Gold Subscribers
  • 6,351 posts
  • Virginia

Posted 15 July 2013 - 07:18 AM

95 - 99 will work.

97 - 99 are going to be better, there were a few improvements.

but if the oil stains are just on the floor, a 95? or 96 cargo area  carpet will roll out cover everything up.

or a plastic cargo liner / tray, 95 - 99.

both of the ones with ''legacy'' or ''outback?'' printed on them will work.

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,534 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 15 July 2013 - 11:45 AM

I have thought of this. It looks like the first gen panels would fit very close in a 2nd gen body. I would suspect you would have to find a way to finish off edges, or maybe trim here and there. I would like to see someone do this.

#5 gravitate

gravitate

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:07 PM

I have a heavy duty ruber mat so I'll only need the panels. I'll go to a yard and so the swap and post pics next week unless someone says the just absolutely won't fit

#6 SubieTrav

SubieTrav

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • Denver

Posted 15 July 2013 - 03:16 PM

The 90-94 Legacy have 2 piece panels, upper and lower. The cargo liners interchange with either first gen or second gen, I have an Outback liner in my 92 Leg and it fits the same.

#7 gravitate

gravitate

New User

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts
  • Denver CO

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:30 PM

Awesome thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users