Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Swaping out trunk panels in outback wagon.

I own a 99 outback wagon. I am a mechanic and the grease and dirt in my trunk really gunks up the cloth panels. I was wondering if I could install the trunk trim from a 90 to 94 legacy wagon in my 99. I really like the plastic panels and the jack door and storage door in the legacys. These cloth doors keep falling off. Also I was hoping that if I can swap them out then I would be able to have the rear speakers in the rear strut towers. Any advice would be great. Thanks.

I own a 99 OBW now, previously drove a 91 Leggie wagon, so I am familiar with both. The cars are similar in size, but I doubt if the panels are interchangeable. Guess you could buy the 90-94 panels from a u-pull wrecking yard on the cheap, and see what you could swap in. Maybe with some cutting and fitting you may get something to fit, but I doubt that it would look good.

95 - 99 will work.

97 - 99 are going to be better, there were a few improvements.

but if the oil stains are just on the floor, a 95? or 96 cargo area  carpet will roll out cover everything up.

or a plastic cargo liner / tray, 95 - 99.

both of the ones with ''legacy'' or ''outback?'' printed on them will work.

I have thought of this. It looks like the first gen panels would fit very close in a 2nd gen body. I would suspect you would have to find a way to finish off edges, or maybe trim here and there. I would like to see someone do this.