Ultimate Subaru Message Board

03 baja 5 spd transmission interchangeability

Hi all just looking for some wisdom for what to do with my transmission.

I have an 03 5 speed baja with the notorious input shaft bearing (IIRC) failure. It growls really bad and my shifter likes to wobble all over the place but still stays in gear.

I was just looking around online and noticed a low mileage 04 impreza ts trans for a really good price but dont think they are compatible. I am not certain but for some reason seem to think that the front and rear diff ratios are different than my bajas.

Am I correct with my thinking or are there different option amongst the baja and impreza lines that do offer different/compatible transmissions.

Any input would be appreciated,

Greg

And for what it's worth, fixing your trans and rescaling it while your at it is probably the best option.

Replacing that bearing and installing new seals usually runs about 550-700 dollars for my customers. I recommend it over a used trans unless the current one has signs of tooth destruction.

Yes I have thought about just replacing that bearing and resealing but with my personal experience I dont feel fully competent in tearing apart the trans and not f*****g it up or simply missing signs of gear failure as well.

I asked the guy I took it to for replacing my clutch about tearing apart the trans and doing that bearing and seals but he was worried that once he got in there it would be more damage to internals and not just the bearing.  Which he learned from already going through this with another customer.

Thats why Im just looking to replace my trans with a lower mileage one and hope it doesnt have the same issue. Or develop this issue with 10k of its life.

The only other option would be to get a completely remaned one but that will cost so much....

Thanks Again,

Greg

Oh really will the older outback one work???? I didnt think it would..... Very nice to know I have seen a few parts car around the area for cheap with 5 speeds but didnt realize they would fit. Now I will definitely keep an eye out for one.

Which models have the 411 or is there a way to easily tell... Vin code? Or markings on trans?

Thanks

Greg

• 3 weeks later...

So I just found a 02 outback sport that the front end is wrecked and am really interested in picking it for the trans but not sure if it will work with my baja.... But I was reading around on nasioc and someone said that as long as you have the rear diff you will be fine to swap both... So if that is true does anybody know what the ratios of the 02 OBS would be. Also is there the potential for it to have a LSD? I am under the assumption that the Baja's came with LSD or is that only certain model year options? And if so, Do I really want to lose the LSD for the impreza Rear Diff.

Oh and also I am assuming that the engine would be a direct fit minus a few things being swapped over.. Correct? still need to research that but was only going to deal with the transmission first and then go into possible engines.

Either way Thanks for any input guys

Greg

Great thanks for all the input... Now the issue is 1. Never got a response about the 02 OBS and 2. There really are no around my area for a decent price.

I did talk to a trans shop with a good reputation which quoted me around $750-$900 to rebuild but that also includes removing and installing. All of the transmissions I have found were around $1100 or so and no type of warranty.. SO should I go for the rebuild with a warranty or still continue looking for a used one for a decent price?

Greg