Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Looking for a Indy Subby repair shop

Daughter has my 97 Legacy GT with 95 2.2 Transplant. Now throwing the infamous P0420 code. The shop she took it to "ran the diagnostics" and said both cats, to the tune of $800-900, plus the knock sensor.

She said it runs real bad, rough, after it sits awhile, I'm going to visit to get more deatils.

Anyone near 08012 in the Turnersville, Blackwood area in NJ, or have a lead on a good Indy shop?

Edited by gregB

Just do the o2,s. The shop is probably charging for cats because they don't want to disassemble and reassmeble rust. This way if they snap off the o2 it does not become sticker shock. Not to mean the cats need to be replaced. It's just a matter of getting the sensors out or not die to corrosion.

You could suggest a quote for just the o2 sensor and consider new cats if rust is an issue. PErhaps go to an exhaust shop. I hope this insn't a midas or tuffy or similar as they try to suggest sell as much as you will pay for.

Not any of the ones you mentioned , but the same kind of chain.

That why I was looking for a independent shop that may work with her.

I did put a new rear O2 on it within the last year to a high resistance code.

Not really looking forward to the 2.5 hour drive, into 98° heat tomorrow to look at the car.

If it's running resonable I'll probably bring it home to work it out here if I cannot find someone there.

the drivability issue is only the knock sensor - they are $15 on ebay and require ONE BOLT to replace.  doesn't get much easier than that, though the DOHC EJ25 is a little tighter but still easy. 10 minutes or less.

0420 can not cause any drivability issues.  fix any exhaust leaks first.

used to be a member on the forum here - mike - username svxpert that used to work on subaru's. i've been to his place and we've exchanged parts before. unsure where he lives, but he would know a good place if you're close enough.

Edited by grossgary

Thanks, It has a 2.2 transplant from a 1995. CAn the knock sensor be gotten to without major disassembly?

I can check on sons 2.2 legacy sedan when I get home but a starting location would realy help out. Have not found it yet in the pdf's I have of the FSM.

If the knock sensor fixes drivability I'll bring it home and at least have a cool garage floor to work on instead of hot parking lot.

Greg

Orbachs Automotive in Denver PA. A little bit of a drive from you but well worth it. Randy and Tom are THE Subaru wizards of the area. They took care of my parents 84 wagon growing up and are not afraid to offer options to help your wallet. They are very fair on price and extremly knowledgeable in Subarus.

365 Reinholds Rd
Denver, PA 17517

717-484-2009

Went to visit daughter today.  20 min, knock sensor replaced.  Outside was all cracked and corroded.

Cleared codes, drove around for 20-25 min, 25-50 mph no returning codes. :D   So far anyhow.

Used VAG-COM cable and VCDS to look at O2 voltages.  Looked like the numbers that sons 97 sedan had without codes.  From what I saw fuel trims did not look that much different also.