Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Cause of muffler rattling sound when Outback stationary in Drive?

muffler muffler rattle rattle drive sounds

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mountainwalker

mountainwalker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • N California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:39 PM

My wife noticed a metal rattling sound coming from the muffler when standing outside the car when I was pulling into our garage - I checked it out and it turns out that a metal rattling/slight scraping sound lasting about 2-3 seconds could be heard every every 10 seconds or so when our 2003 3L H6 VDC Subaru Outback is in drive.  What could be the cause?  It seems to only be coming from the muffler - can't trace the sound to anywhere else under the car.

#2 NorthWet

NorthWet

Eeyore Incarnate

• Members
  • 5,039 posts
  • Bremerton, WA

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:53 PM

Generally speaking, rattles like that are heat shields that are loose.

#3 mountainwalker

mountainwalker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • N California

Posted 15 July 2013 - 04:56 PM

Thanks NorthWet, I just found this heat shield thread while you were responding: 

Does the rattling come from one of the two shield pieces being loose?  If so, a few hose clamps should keep it snug.

Only issue is that I only hear it from the muffler, not from the heat shield - this might be understandable considering that the heat shield is sealed, and the only opening is through the muffler in the back.  

#4 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

I read a lot about Subarus

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 16 July 2013 - 10:34 AM

those mufflers do have an odd bypass flap in them so, I suppose that could cause a rattle.

#5 mountainwalker

mountainwalker

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • N California

Posted 16 July 2013 - 11:33 PM

Thanks 1LuckyTexan.  If it's the bypass flap, is that flap replaceable or repairable?  I can't hear it when I drive, only when staying still or driving forward very slowly in drive.  I'll first try clamping the heat shield with a metal plumber's clamp.

#6 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:18 AM

Thanks 1LuckyTexan.  If it's the bypass flap, is that flap replaceable or repairable?  I can't hear it when I drive, only when staying still or driving forward very slowly in drive.  I'll first try clamping the heat shield with a metal plumber's clamp.

You're not gonna like the answer but, to my knowledge, the entire muffler would need to be replaced. And, Subaru wants a fortune for it.

Probably, most folks would just go aftermarket and live with w'ever effect it had on mileage/performance. probably not large, but, in theory, that bypass alloys for better comb. chamber scavenging at low rpms and better flow at high rpms. Junkyard might be an option.

#7 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:20 AM

You're not gonna like the answer but, to my knowledge, the entire muffler would need to be replaced. And, Subaru wants a fortune for it.

Make darn certain though, before damning the muffler. I don't read about too many problems with it. Heat shields or hangers or some other issue would be much more likely.

Probably, most folks would just go aftermarket and live with w'ever effect it had on mileage/performance. probably not large, but, in theory, that bypass alloys for better comb. chamber scavenging at low rpms and better flow at high rpms. Junkyard might be an option.

#8 1 Lucky Texan

1 Lucky Texan

• Members
  • 4,781 posts
  • Texas

Posted 17 July 2013 - 08:21 AM

^^^

I have no idea what I did wrong, hit quote instead of edit it looks like.

sorry

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: muffler, muffler rattle, rattle, drive, sounds

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users