Ultimate Subaru Message Board

New Guy,79 sedan

New Guy here to Subarus and Forums.Never messed with either before.Just thought I may share my new car that I got about 6 months ago,maybe get some advice and direction on what to do with this bad boy. Its a 1979 Dl sedan 2 wheel drive auto.I hate the automatic but man the little car just goes and goes.Its saved my butt a few times too when my other rig was broke down! So I use it as my daily driver now because I like it so much,and started cutting out the rust it had and am replacing with new metal.So let me know what you think and any advice would be much appreciated. Thankspost-47770-0-32298400-1373943870_thumb.jpgpost-47770-0-86801000-1373944028_thumb.jpgpost-47770-0-45858300-1373943938_thumb.jpg

Rub it in nobangmycar! lol :D  I wish mine was a 4 speed. I did think of keeping it completely stock,but when I bought it,it had no front bumper only the rear. I really like the earlier 70s bumpers,the really nice skinny chrome ones.I wonder how well they would fit on the late sedan?  As you can see in the last pic I have been working on getting the rust out,which isnt too bad.The floors are all solid,only rust is behind the rear tires and the front tires.Also had some bad cancer by the strut assembly.But the driver side is fixed!Just got the passenger side to go!

If I took the bumpers off I would have to weld in some plates to cover where the bumper goes,but then sure as shootin I would be sitting at a stop light and get rear ended and that would screw everything up. Well thanks for the opinions so far,they always help out a lot.Keep em comin!

Sorry nobangmycar I missed your question. Internally cooled. I didnt know Subaru made it any different.Sorry for my ignorance of being a newbie,but what were the differences cooling wise on the later models from the earlier models?

I would just keep cleaning it up and restore it (other than possibly the manual transmission swap), possibly tuck it down a bit over some Peugeot or Subaru (if you can find them.....) alloys. As for the bumpers, earlier chromies if you can get ahold of any, otherwise restore the factory bricks and put them back on. Not very many of these running around at all that are in good shape. Nice find, and good luck with it!  ^_^

Edited by SmashedGlass
  • Like 1

Oh I got ya,always learnin. Thanks for the info. Well so far no major issues with my car so far.Other than my ignition switch fryin.She runs cool and efficient no complaints! Not bad for $300 bucks! My old job was 80 miles round trip,I put over 5000 miles on the car so far,never left me stranded.

I think we should ask Danny to fit one of those early 4WD bumpers up to a FWD later 70's (Stage II) to see if it fits for width. Mounting will be custom but nothing too difficult.  Anyone else done this? Stage I 4WD bumper to Stage II any vehicle.....?

And Danny , if you see this - you have a set of those from me back when you were here. ;) We weren't sure at the time and I said take them anyways and we'll figure out what to do later.

I'm at a point now where I really want to try those on my Stage II 4WD Wagon.

I'm not sure,can't make up my mind :wacko:  Resto-mod or resto. I like bumpers just not what came on her originally.I agree with moosens man,someone needs to try out an earlier bumper on the stage II. Anyone got any for sale?

My choice was easy - no front bumper and jacked rear.  Bye-bye bumpers, lol.