Ultimate Subaru Message Board

just picked up my first dual range suby!

subiwag

I like 2" strut top with a 1 1/4 drop on the crossmember and trans support.......Reqiures longer coupler......one from Legacy Outback.  In fact you can get the crossmember spacers and the trans spacers too.  The trans spacers are painted to the crossmember, but will come off with a bit of persuasion.

Also with a 2" lift either way you are running your angles steeper......so take clip the inner CV joint, small clip....and slide it up the shaft past the padding, and reclamp it.  This will help keep it from tearing since it will be running at a steeper angle all the time now.

Word. If I bother with a body lift I'll just go for a 4" suspension with 3" body. Still not sure though. I need to worry about rebuilding the carb or finding a cheapish weber. Anyone have experience with the ea82 carb kits other than the walker version?

Word. If I bother with a body lift I'll just go for a 4" suspension with 3" body. Still not sure though. I need to worry about rebuilding the carb or finding a cheapish weber. Anyone have experience with the ea82 carb kits other than the walker version?

What's wrong with the walker kits?

That;s what I always use.

All you really need from it are the little airhorn O-rings, The top gasket, and the Accelerator pump.  Maybe the needle and seat too.

Easy to cleanout and rebuild in the car, just the top needs to come off.

Its an EA82 engine.Of course it is normal lol :)

that sucks man. hope ya get it fingered out.

cheers

yea i have learned i definitely prefer the ej motors haha

not really surprised though. atleast it was cheap. 

have a chance to buy an impreza so i might see if someone wants the gl as is

After taking off the carb I noticed no coolant in the overflow... Took the rad cap off bunch of white crap in there. And this starting flowing out on the intake Mani..

IMAG0342_zpsb5b9c203.jpg

That is not normal ....

It actually is normal for there to be coolant there.  It looks a bit watery, not enough coolant in it but otherwise that IS normal.

Many people fill that passage with JB weld to stop potential leaks from the carb base.

• 3 weeks later...

alright starting think about just fixing the gl since no one wants to buy it as is. maybe ej swap? or swap on a weber and hope the HG actually arent blown? i really need a car for work and i dont want to drive the ej20g swapped wagon even though it is running now.

anyone have a weber setup or a sjr flywheel and adapter plate?

If you are gonna hope the HG aren't actually blown, then why not put the hitachi back on?

They are super easy to clean out and reassemble.  You got the kit, why not give it a try?

The "coolant" looks more like water with a slight mineral content.  Not much green coolant there.  Sludge could be from watery mix or Orange coolant mixed in at some point.  With a mixture this watery, it's probably reaching close to boiling, overpressurizing, and steaming off.  That would explain loss of coolant.

It is not enough to just run water.  It will boil, steam out, and corrode the engine while it's at it.  Don't make any cooling system judgements until you have run it with a correct mix, fully burped.

So for that reason I would at least give the carb rebuild a try.  See if it runs better.

It will get is sealed and running again for diagnosisi, and even if the HGs are blown, you will have the carb running good so you can do the HGs and go.

The carb and the HGs are really seperate issues, so don't make decisions on one based on the other.

Edited by Gloyale

when i took the carb off and opened it it looked brand new. the pieces looked of higher quality then the ones on the rebuild kit even. if anyone local wants to help me put it back together hit me up. i would want to atleast eliminate some of these vacuum lines since i forgot where some of them go anyway. ive looked for threads about this but all of them have dead links since they are from the old boards...

There is probably a vacuum diagram under the hood.

I would get it running and take it to Subaru for a coolant flush. They MAY not do it for you .But aS clean as that car is, I would give it a shot. That way you totally get the right coolant in there. And done by a tech.

Or you could just let me trade it out of you. :P

cheers