Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Ok, so most of my posts have been in the older gen forums for mainly two reasons: One, ive only really had issues with my 87 RX, and Two, the very little i do know, is about EA82's and ive learned 95% of it from USMB.

With that said, a friend got me in touch with a guy selling his 02 WRX wagon. He believes the turbo went out because of the Banjo bolt filter issue. I'm still waiting for a chance to get more info from the guy and go up there and check the thing myself - again. not like i think i know more than the owner, i just don't want to overlook anything. 

I need help with a couple of questions. First, whats the best way to find out if it IS the turbo, and how would go about finding out if its an oil starvation thing or if it just swallowed the up-cat

Then figuring out the issue, whats my solution:

banjo-bolt problem - remove banjo bolt screen, replace turbo and oil? is an engine rebuild necessary? how extensive? new-shortblock-extensive rebuild?

turbo eating stuff issue - rebuild? or complete replacement?

The main issue is figuring out the extent of repairs needed in order to weigh the costs. Ive searched a few forums and it always seems there's the the "my friend just got a rebuilt engine for $xx price." Well, i need "xx price from yy source in Washington", the kind of information i can use to find parts, not just what prices are possible.

this is all based on the little i know about WRX's and Im sure im overlooking other possable issues. My problem is, someone gets me started on one train of thought, and suddenly all the symptoms point to that issue. Any enlightenment on the subject will be very much appreciated. 

If the turbo was starved of oil, I would think the engine itself should be ok as long as the turbo didn't spit a bunch of stuff into the oil and the engine sucked it back up.  Worst case, the oil pump might need to be replaced as the oil goes from the pan to the pump to the filter.

You can pull the turbo inlet elbow off and see if there is any shaft play on the compressor wheel.  Also, see if it spins freely and look for oil.  You can find used TD04's for pretty cheap on NASIOC, probably $100 or less.

The banjo filters were only in a couple years, mostly '05-'07. If the turbo has been starved of oil, I would look to something else for a cause. Excessive heat can cause blockages along with longer oil change intervals, sludge and all.

If it has been starved, make sure there's no metal in the pan or you could have a short block issue later on.