Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru noob coolant hose question

yes, filling the block from the upper rad hose before connecting it is the recommended procedure.

also, use the bleeder on the passenger side top corner of the radiator to facilitate burping - small white plastic fitting with philips type slots - removing it while filling will get/let the air out faster & more completely.

Excellent info, thanks! Did you end up doing the heater hoses?

I usually park on a slight uphill, fill the radiator, then fill the block using the upper rad hose (full as possible before connecting it) and haven't had a problem.

Yes I didn't take pictures but I replaced the throttle body hose, the water pump hose, both heater hoses and the rad hoses. The Gates hoses worked really well.

yes, filling the block from the upper rad hose before connecting it is the recommended procedure.

also, use the bleeder on the passenger side top corner of the radiator to facilitate burping - small white plastic fitting with philips type slots - removing it while filling will get/let the air out faster & more completely.

I neglected to fill from the top hose, I figured filling radiator would go down that hose anyways. Also the small plastic fitting I removed and when I was replacing it I snapped it off, but it did seal so I'm just going to leave that alone until I grab one from the junk yard or something.

Edited by vladvv