Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Custom instrument cluster?

Alright got an 85 brat and was thinking about fabing up a custom instrument cluster outa some auto meter or vdo or something, my question is this? Is there any wiring that 100% needs to stay? I'm planing on keeping the oe surround and wil be wiring up all the warning lights and indicators. Is there a vss that I don't know about? Any help would be much needed. Thank you much Subie boy and girls.

There is a VSS within the speedometer head.

But it's unused in most carbed brats.  Only there for MPFI, and Cali-Carbed brats.........OR for optional cruise control.  Not needed for a standard carbed car.

Altough I would advise not removing the stock wiring, but just piggy backing around it.  Hacking out the stock wiring could cause all kinds of fuel pump, headlight, blower motor, etc........problems and will DECIMATE any resale or collector value the brat has.  Keep in mind, Brats are on;y likely to become MORE valuable......but only fairly clean ones that haven't been molested like a drunken choir boy at Jerry Sandusky's house.

No cruse, not Injected and I have no intent to cut out old wiring because I understand she's a classic but she will never be owned by anyone else. With that being said only wire ill need to tie in to is for back lighting and indicator and warning lights. We all know how awesome the oe gauges are and that there so correct all the time I just figured why not replace them with something that a bit more useful. Thanks for the input.