Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Well I'm pretty sure the 5-speed in my legacy finally took a dump the other day. Ever since I bought it, it had the fairly common 2nd gear syncro grind that's associated with the early legacy 5-speeds. Well untill sunday when it finally decited that it would not go into 2nd at all. The syncro will engage enough that it will grind when i release the clutch but It will not slip into gear. Every other gear is just fine so I don't suspect that it's a linkage issue. Anyway I guess that I'll be replacing it with a used one. Now dose anyone remember which year they made the changes to the 5-speed to elimate this problem?

Well I'm pretty sure the 5-speed in my legacy finally took a dump the other day. Ever since I bought it, it had the fairly common 2nd gear syncro grind that's associated with the early legacy 5-speeds. Well untill sunday when it finally decited that it would not go into 2nd at all. The syncro will engage enough that it will grind when i release the clutch but It will not slip into gear. Every other gear is just fine so I don't suspect that it's a linkage issue. Anyway I guess that I'll be replacing it with a used one. Now dose anyone remember which year they made the changes to the 5-speed to elimate this problem?

Will it pop in if you double-clutch?

It will not pop in if I I double clutch. It won't even pop in if I'm just sitting with the engine turned off.

The running 1st to near redline and dropping it into 3rd isn't a really good option with a legacy, the clutch will spin quite a bit and there isn't much left to the one I have.