Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Longer lasting seats for 99 OBW

I just bout a 99 outback wagon with only 97k on it. The seats look new with no tears but the bottom of the door side of both the left and right front seats are worn out. The frame of the seat seams to have cut straight through the foam caused by the owner getting in and out. I have a 91 legacy that had rather comfortable seats that lasted about 300k before I had wear in them. So my question is are there any seats besides the stock ones I have that people have good luck with? The 91 had a style of seats that I only saw in one other car (and I bought them for replacing on the 91) so I would use those but I doubt I would find another set in good condition. I wouldn't mind power seats and mine are heated so that would be nice but not a necessity. Thanks for any advice.

All the seats from that era had the same problem. The foam would wear out and the support frame cuts through it.

I swapped a set of "mouse fur" seats out of a 91 or 92 legacy into my 96. They're height adjustable, lumbar support, and very comfortable, and much more robust. Dunno how many miles were on the original car but the seats are still in great shape after almost 2 years in my car. My only qualm is they don't seem to slide back as far as the original seats. So my back pain (from the original seats) has transferred to my right leg and knee.

Had to cut off the auto seatbelt guide, and swap the seat belt buckles to the original ones from my car. Other than that they bolted right in.

I have a 99 OBW with the same problem, crappy seats. I found leather seats from  a "limited" model, installed them, only to realize the driver's seat had bad foam. Latest I have done, is use foam from a "00 cloth GT Leggie seat, and use that to replace the crushed out foam in the original 99 cloth seat. This seems to work pretty well. It is not that big a deal to unbolt a seat, remove seat from the car, then disassemble seat cushion to install replacement foam. The foam for the seat is pretty sophisticated in design and shape, so you need to get foam from a Subie seat, or a replacement seat from a Subaru. Not hard to swap in new foam and tie off with nylon cable ties to replace the hog loops.

Legacy or Forester seats are no better. They all wear out the same way. Every Subaru I find in the junkyard the first thing I check is the seats, and they're always worn on the outer bolster.

I find the same thing in Indiana.....driver's seat is worn out, especially the foam bolster portion of the seat closest to the driver's door. I have heard that the foam from the front passenger seat can be installed in the driver's seat. The passenger seats are always in much better condition in a wrecking yard. Guess the driver's seat is used maybe 75% more then the passenger seat.

Yeah I guess I may just have to try and find a set out of a 1st gen legacy. The seat not going back as far was my concern too and a big reason for me upgrading to the 99. I wonder if you can take the bottom rails and swap the 1st gen with the second? Maybe that would give you the extra room. Thanks for the replys ya'll

well dang I just got on here to question if a set of 02 WRX seats would work. I found a nice set for 100 bux. ,the guy said he thought one areas where the frame mounts to the body was modified so my next question would be do you think the botton rails would be interchangeable?

well dang I just got on here to question if a set of 02 WRX seats would work. I found a nice set for 100 bux. ,the guy said he thought one areas where the frame mounts to the body was modified so my next question would be do you think the botton rails would be interchangeable?

02 WRX seats should fit into a 90-99 legacy no problem. Just Swap the seat belt buckle. The rails are the same, all of the mounting holes are the same.

Rails can be unbolted and swapped if need be, but should not be necessary.

The only hangup would be tryin to use powered rails on a non-power seat, or vice versa. But where the seats mount to the floor is the same for both powered or non.

Wow I might have the best looking seats here from the way you all talk.. I have a '97 outback with leather seats no rips or anything all seats look great for the age of the car.. Only thing is the seats don't feel as soft Im as as when the car was new.

Well the wrx seats have height adjust on them. The feet were cut and welded for another vehicle so I would have to take them off anyways. I was hoping I could just swap out the feet with mine. Looks like it might be a bit of a project.