Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

speaker size

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 slidewaysuby

slidewaysuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Sandy, Oregon

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:35 PM

Does anyone know the sizes of the stock speakers in a 88 gl wagon

thanks alot

#2 the_bard

the_bard

Upstate NY'er

• Gold Subscribers
  • 937 posts
  • Rexford, NY

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

If they're the same size in my Loyale (I can't imagine why they'd be different), they should be 6 & 1/2".

#3 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 20 April 2004 - 09:40 PM

6 1/2" (verified on Crutchfield.com) in all 4 doors.

#4 The Scooby

The Scooby

EJ Swap Junkie

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  • South Seattle

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:17 PM

6 1/2" (verified on Crutchfield.com) in all 4 doors.

actually, the front are 5.25's and the back are 6.5's.

Shean

#5 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:44 PM

I believe scooby is right...but 6.5 will fit with minor work (its kinda an in between size)

#6 samo

samo

Boo.

• Members
  • 731 posts
  • The Emerald City

Posted 20 April 2004 - 10:54 PM

On my '92 Loyale, which may be a tad different, it's 6.5" in the front, but it's gotta be pretty shallow. My DAT components won't fit. I don't have rears.

#7 calebz

calebz

Andys Coupe killed my cat

• Administrator
  • 7,547 posts
  • Tacoma

Posted 20 April 2004 - 11:43 PM

Weird.. my both my 87s and both 88s only had/have 4 inch in the front.. 6 in the back

#8 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:05 AM

Yeah, I had to modify the bracket to get 5.25's to fit in the front....

#9 slidewaysuby

slidewaysuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Sandy, Oregon

Posted 21 April 2004 - 12:33 AM

So the stock sizes are 4 in the front and 6 in the rear? Also what sizes would you recommend I get as replacements?

#10 slidewaysuby

slidewaysuby

USMB Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 101 posts
  • Sandy, Oregon

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:11 PM

bump bump bump

#11 bushbasher

bushbasher

exhaust fume addict

• Members
  • 1,707 posts
  • Sooke B.C. Canada

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:33 PM

sounds to me like people are measuring from different locations ;)

#12 Flow

Flow

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 257 posts
  • Roy

Posted 21 April 2004 - 11:44 PM

I just put new speakers in my '86 GL Wagon. The fronts were 5" stock but as I said, I made 5.25" fit with some minor modification to the metal bracket. In the rear door I put 6.5" shallow mount pioneer Cheapo's. Top mount depth of 1.75". Fit just right and bolted right up. I ran all new speaker wire because I added an amp as well. If I had it to do over again.... I might try to put something bigger up front. There was quite abit of room behind the bump out for the map pocket in the door. You would have to get creative with mounting tho. I would also put in componet speakers with a passive crossover and mount the Tweets up higher for better imaging. This is actually the plan for my '86 as soon as I get some cash together. Hope this helps.

#13 thealleyboy

thealleyboy

Subaru Derelict

• Members
  • 2,079 posts
  • Bexley, OH

Posted 22 April 2004 - 02:29 PM

I believe the door shell cutouts can physically accept up to 6.5" for both front and back. However, most of the models I've seen come with adapter brackets that drop the size down to 4.00" (usually on the fronts only).

Obviously, 6.5's would be the best choice for 2 or 3 way speaks. The problem is that to mount 6.5's on the fronts, they must be mounted against the door shell. On your model, the standard speaker cutout on the trim panel is 4", and raised. In other words, there is a considerable gap between where you can mount a 6.5, and the actual sound hole in the trim panel. Also, the hole is too small, so the sound quality suffers.

The best compromise (if you dont want to chop up your door trim panel) is to install 4"'s up front, using the stock brackets, and 6.5" in the back. These are probably your existing sizes, but if you buy quality replacements, they'll sound MUCH better than the OEM Clarions you have now.

If you are upgrading your stereo too, you'll also have to address the speaker wiring. As you may know, the OEM rear wiring is not compatible with modern stereo units.

good luck, John

#14 EmmCeeBee

EmmCeeBee

USMB is life!

• Members
  • 129 posts
  • SW Washington

Posted 22 April 2004 - 04:00 PM

I put in a new stereo system last summer, and went through the same questions. I've got an '88 GL which had everything stock.

Front and rear speakers were identical: 6.5" (only 10W each, IIRC). For replacements, any well-known make (Kenwood, Infinity, Pioneer, etc.) with the digits 16xx specifies a 6.5" or 6.75" speaker.

Two things to watch out for:
1) Most of these speakers are dual size (both 6.5" and 6.75"), with break-off tabs. You break off the mounting tabs for a 6.5" mounting -- which is what you want to do for your GL.
2) Speaker depth.... I can't remember exactly, but I think front was 1 7/8", back was a bit deeper.

I got a pair of Pioneer TS-A1670R for the front, and Kenwood KFC-1679ie for the rear. Nothing magic about those models, but if you check out these speakers on the internet, you'll see dimensions and specs.

These speakers fit without any modifications to the door mount, door panel, or speaker grills. (Well, not exactly true, I had to put a 1/4" bulge in the rear grills....)

You probably know that the stock setup uses a common ground ("-" wire) for each side. If you're putting in a new head unit, you should re-wire the speakers with their own "-".

-- Mark

#15 nutt7

nutt7

certified hoser!

• Members
  • 241 posts
  • Tempe

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:24 PM

On my 86 wagon, I pulled out the stock speaker and bracket in the front and also removed the grill in the door panel. I then mounted 5.25s in the door panel and they fit with a very very minimal gap aroud them (with the grilles on, you cant tell) Widen the hole a tad and you can fit most 6.5s out there. This way you also will get better highs and vocals because the speaker isnt mounted an inch or so inside the door panel and sound doesnt have to filter through the small stock grill.

Another note...when rewiring for a new deck, it is not necessary to run wires through the door jams. Trace the two wires from the speaker through the door jam (by color) and into the body. you will run into a clip that you can unclip and run the new head unit wires to. this way is much easier than running wire through the door jam...hope this helps...

eric

#16 Partsman

Partsman

Eat, Live, Breath Subaru

• Members
  • 262 posts
  • sunny Eugene, OR

Posted 22 April 2004 - 08:49 PM

Went out and popped my doors - speakers measured just over 6" front AND rear, but the grille screen was smaller in the front. Stock speakers, 88 GL wagon. So there!

#17 WJM

WJM

SUBARU

• Members
  • 7,828 posts

Posted 22 April 2004 - 09:01 PM

You can fit shallow 6.5's in the front and rear. Stock is 4 on the front with some kind of factory bracket, and the rears are 6.5. Pleiades has replaces the stock RX ones with some walmart 'yellow lighting' speakers, which are quite good...thats my current RX that I got from him. And in the Grassroots car, he got the 4 inch version, so the interior could remain stock...and those fit into that stock bracket faily easily.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users