Ultimate Subaru Message Board

'81 BRAT rear suspension helper - help! ;-)

Hi Folks

After owning my MV (UK BRAT) for more than 6 years, it was only yesterday when replacing a rear shock that I realised the rear suspension helpers are missing (obviously rotted away).

For those that don't know, this is what a helper looks like:

DSC03237_zps91dcf4a8.jpg

...and one is mounted each side, rubber "cone" facing down, from the upper plate next to the shock in the below photo:

IMG_0675_zpsfc4bf6f1.jpg

The unit screws into the mount; the thin hex-shape metal disc that's moulded into the top of the rubber is the only bit left. While the shock was off, I soaked the area in WD40 then tried some mole grips that were big enough, but it just won't shift, so I can't remove it to fit a new, complete, helper.

Any hints or tips on how to get this darned thing off?

PS just for fun, here's our boxer Daisy enjoying "her" BRAT :-)

IMG_0647_zpsf5917634.jpg

Many thanks

Owain

• Like 1

Well I'm not sure,I,ve never messed with that particular problem but, I would think maybe putting some heat on it might break it loose,unless the rubber is still there might be a trick. Or maybe vibration. Beat on it with a hammer and chisel. See if that will break it loose.Just a thought,might see what the other guys think. Great looking outfit tho! Good luck!

Side note to you Owain , I'm disgusted with the new rates of the Postal folks here and I pulled the plug on shipping your windshield gasket until I could search some and find a rate that doesn't make this a loss for me. :) Seriously , its gotten that much. Hang tight and I promise I'm working on it and will do my best to conclude this week , maybe Wed. I've been working 7 days a week and some 2nd gig work too so please pardon the tardiness. I sometimes get caught up in these shipping funks but always come through.

Cheers!

This problem mentioned is happening to many of our vehicles. Mine is a victim as well. Haven't had anything drop out of the car yet but the rubber is shot and the whole stability seems at risk. But its still functioning well so I'm just pressing on until I make a big decision on wether to advance with this car at all or just move on.

Anyone know if those are the same pieces carrying forward onto the next Gen.?

Hey Owain!

If there is a plate that is backing that rubber bumpstop then that might be what is seized to the support?  See if that is the case.  Use penetrating oil (NOT WD40!) like crazy and re-oil it a couple of times a day.  See if you can get that backing plate to separate and then torch the support to heat up that area, not the bumpstop screw/plate though.

Hope that helps.

Or, get a chisel in there and flare up that hex plate and then weld on a piece of metal to get some leverage.  Should come off.

All else fails you can get an angle grinder and cut the screw/plate off then drill out the screw.  Then find a nut that fits the new bumpstop on the back and put a couple washers in there.  Should be good as new.

And.....

BEAUTIFUL BRAT (MV)!  Man I wish I lived over there to snag some more of your parts.

Edited by O.C.D.