Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Can't get my brat past 40mph

We recently put a webber on my brat and got all vacuums plugged and such. Webber was re jetted and rebuilt specifically for the brat.

Problem is when I get to about 40mph it starts acting like its starving for gas. We've messed with the mixture screw and it doesn't make a difference for the main issue.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a lean condition to me. Suppose it could be rich, but if you were to ask me, I'd take a look at the jetting. You can throw larger or smaller jets into a carb, but the resulting effect isn't always desired. You can purchase multiple jet sizes either way, for cheap. Trial and error. I've been there with motorcycles. Also, the car can only take in as much as it can put out. So when the jetting gets messed with, but the exhaust stays the same, that's where things can potentially get wonky. I'd trial and error with different jets. "Don't fix it if it ain't broke," sure... Though... I think that'd be the easiest way. Best of luck.

check your coolant.  you may be dribbling water in through the base gasket.

fuel filters should be replaced, just on principle, but you should also check your fuel pressure.  webers are sensitive to fuel pressure.

check your vacuum advance line, make sure its on ported vacuum.  ussually not a major problem at speed, but always a thing to double check.

Was this a brand new Weber?

Reason I am wondering is that I am waiting for my Weber to come in so I can install.

Any idea how much effect happens when it is specifically rebuilt for the Brat?

Also I just replaced the filter under the bed less then 6 months ago, should I replace again when installing the Weber?

Ordered from a shop close to me, I was told a complete kit with everything I need for $389, didn't think that was a bad price for the package.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I checked fuel pressure already and it was good.

The secondary seems to get gas but it doesn't seem to be near as much. But that's normal isn't it?

I already had a problem with coolant escaping by the base on the weber and I don't seem to be losing Any more fluid.

The webber was not brand new but running.

It was just a rebuild as any other carb

We recently put a webber on my brat and got all vacuums plugged and such. Webber was re jetted and rebuilt specifically for the brat.

Problem is when I get to about 40mph it starts acting like its starving for gas. We've messed with the mixture screw and it doesn't make a difference for the main issue.

Any ideas?

As others have mentioned, fuel filters, I have had the same effect you describe from clogged fuel filters on ea81s on several occassions.  It's the first thing to check.  I would just replace them anyway since they are cheap.

When you say the carb was jetted for a Brat, what where the jets?  Most specifically, the secondary idle jet.

Thanks for all the ideas everyone!

I checked fuel pressure already and it was good.

Idle fuel pressure does not mean much in this case.

Tape your gauge to the outside of the windshield and check pressure while going 40+ and motor acting like it is starving for gas.

Sounds like a weak pump or plugged filters to me.

I think you know, but just in case, theres a filter in the rear under the car by the passenger tire.

some more specific info would help.  will it stumble at that speed regardless of how deep in the throttle you are, or will it act up at certain rpms as well?  when you say starved for gas, do you mean bucking and sputtering, just vibrating hard, etc?

• Like 1

I think you know, but just in case, theres a filter in the rear under the car by the passenger tire.

some more specific info would help. will it stumble at that speed regardless of how deep in the throttle you are, or will it act up at certain rpms as well? when you say starved for gas, do you mean bucking and sputtering, just vibrating hard, etc?

Around 37-40m

• Like 1

some more specific info would help. will it stumble at that speed regardless of how deep in the throttle you are, or will it act up at certain rpms as well? when you say starved for gas, do you mean bucking and sputtering, just vibrating hard, etc?

Around 37-40mPh regaurdless whether I'm flooring it lightly on the gas it does some medium bucks and sounds like its going to die

As for rpms my tac doesn't work lol

Around 37-40mPh regaurdless whether I'm flooring it lightly on the gas it does some medium bucks and sounds like its going to die

As for rpms my tac doesn't work lol