Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Another Tire Question

I am getting a 4" lift on my brat soon, but I am trying to get some ideas on tires for it. My question is what size Pugs should I try to get for the brat? What is the most aggressive tread for the 14's that I could get? I was thinking about the Mickey Thompson Baja Belted, but will these only work for the 15" Tires? Thanks a bunch and I amsorry that this question is asked so many times.

Hey Jibs,

I gave up on trying to sell the 15" pugs and decided to keep them. I put some 205/75/R15 tires on the rims and did a bit of fender trimming and firewall banging to get them to fit. They are just over 27" tall. On my brat I dont think they would fit without doing some fender trimming even with a lift. They rub quite a bit right now but after the lift I dont think they will rub at all even under the most extreme conditions.

I have done some searching for tires and you can get pretty aggressive Mud tread in a 195/75/R14 and also in a 215/75R15.......My 205/75/R15 tires are just All Terrain tires. Hope this helps. If you need some tire vendor/brand ideas just let me know. And there are numerous posts on the subject as well

Gregg

I agree with Zap about the Swampers. There have been many raves about them as well as a couple of write-ups. I just bought some cheapy tires (4 new Dayton mud and snows -205/75/14 for $150 mounted and balanced) so I can see if I'm going to have any distinct wear problems with the new lift kit. Next year I will upgrade to some serious off road tires.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate the help. Don't worry greggbrat, I am just trying to find some around town. Maybe I'll roadtrip down to Sacramento one of these days and see if I can find some easier there. Again, I thank yous guys!

I am thinking of doing the conversion to 6 lug if I can't find any pugs soon, but I have a few questions. How strong are the drums after being drilled? I like to go 4 wheeling, and am afraid of the drum breaking or bending or something. Second, If I take the drums to a machine shop to get re-drilled, do I just tell them that I want to be able to fit a 6 lug rim on there or how do I go about that? And last, roughly, what would this cost? (any reasonable guess is appreciated.) Thanks a lot for the help.