Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I just tried to remove the rear strut on a 95 subaru but there wasn't enough room to get it out.  I only jacked up one wheel.  I now notice on a DIY an implication that I need to jack up both back wheels so the sway bar will allow the wheel to drop low enough.

Is that right? 

probably

another option would be to put everything back together enough to drop the car (or drive both side up on ramps) and take the sway bar end link loose - probably get by just loosening on one side, not sure though if it might still hit some interference, best to loosen both sides)

I guess I thought you had no way to lift more than one side at a time.

when I did my 03, I had the entire back up in the air - jackstand on each side.

dunno if older models are the same, but i still had to use the scissor jack to push the hub down a little, and a floor jack to lift stuff a little to make getting that lower bolt in and out easier.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

I'm not making myself clear.  I actually have no problem getting the bolts out.  I should have said that.  But the top of rear strut is in a tower like enclosure and doesn't have enough play.  The wheel would have to drop 5" more to allow the bottom of the strut to come out towards the outside of the car.

You didn't take the strut mount nut off the strut did you? The 3 small nuts on the bearing mount come off and the unit comes down with the spring still compressed.

Or has the car been in a wreck and the area's sheet metal has been deformed?

Um - maybe you could post a picture of what you're dealing with.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

You can certainly jack the other side up, but the sway bar may still hold the rear suspension in a position that will make it difficult to remove the strut.

The sway bar tries to hold the suspension on each side in the same place relative to the opposite side.

If you disconnect the link, you'll get another 3-5" of room or more by pushing down on the knuckle.

UPDATE 

Removing the top bolt from the stabilizer link allowed the removal of the rear strut, although there is barely enough clearance.  Jacking up both back wheels probably works too, but it it didn't look like there would be enough clearance so I took out the bolt.  It's easy, but you just have to remember to set the car down on the tires before putting the stabilizer bolts back in.