Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Update on my progress

Well today was a good day. I got my 83 a while back, rented a pickup and a tow dolly and drove a few hundred miles to hood river and drug it back to Albany. There, andrew helped me blow off the radiator cap ;) and swap out the distributor. We took the aftermarket radiator to the parts place to get a new cap and figured we would throw in a new thermostat while we had it drained. Well we cracked the thermostat housing while putting it in. No problem we said andrew has two of these laying around. Slap one on and try to attach the hose. ARGH I have power steering, needs a longer gooseneck. Well we jb welded the old one together (twice) and got it to just piss out fluid a little when it was really full. (half full cant be too bad :brow: ) Well it doesnt get hot. After some interior work and thinking I had ordered the part online I realized it wasnt coming and I hadnt been charged for the part. Well I call around the yards (andrew warning me power steering wasn't all that common) and found a yard that had just received an 83 1.8 yep with power steering. Well now. I just happened to be heading that way today anyways to get my teeth and gums brutalized by a very kind dental hygenist at the local community college. So before my appointment I dared the rain for my part. Trouble is they hadnt bothered to tell me I couldnt pull anything off the engine because they hadnt run the thing yet and thought it might be worth more as a whole. So I set out looking for my part and out of 20 cars couldnt find it. Until I noticed a car with a totally rusted air filter, after a bit a realized it had burned, and low and behold there was my engine looking like S**t in this car with the right part! Pulled it, got a few wiring harness I needed, and upgraded to the larger all clear light that my 83 doesnt have, all for five bucks. Hopefully I will install it tomorrow. Next on my list is a float for my gas tank. =)

Thanks for all your help andrew, russ, and USMB!

Still wrenchin

Joshua

Thats a good point. What would cause intermitent fuel gauge readings and never showing full tank? *usually the thing shows nothing) I am hoping for a bad solder like I saw in the junk yard.

Thanks for the number russ.

Hey guys are you free this weekend? My girlfriend is leaving town =)

I will miss her but I am thinking of trying to find a tail light and a driver side seatbelt. Lemme know.

Joshua