Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

HELP! How to identify correct CV axle!?

CV cv cv axle axle franken

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Alright. How's everyone doing?

Two days ago my front passenger CV axle blew. I was 100 miles from home. Started knocking, all that good stuff.

No big deal right? Right.

This lifted GL does not have it's original tranny, kay.

As a rookie move, first bought a CV for the transmission, which came from a first-gen Legacy. WRONG.

Returned it, bought a CV for the chassis, an '87 GL. WRONG.

My car is up on stands in front of my place until I can figure this out.

How can I identify and acquire the right axle???

The Legacy CV's outer spindle was too short.

The GL's "receiving spindle" that connects to the diff. was too small by... maybe two MMs.

Does anyone... Have any words of wisdom?

I've swapped three CV axles in my life. Totally familiar with the process.

But I've never had to do it with a FrankenSub.

Ahhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

#2 Turbone

Turbone

The Original Rob

• 12,135 posts
  • WA

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Look at the trans where the starter is, there should be a sticker there with numbers. Let us know what you find.

Are you running EA or EJ hubs? Need to know that also.

#3 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,398 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

Sounds like you need to order an axle for a turbo GL or Xt 4cyl.

#4 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:40 AM

TY752VX3A

And I believe they're the original '87GL EA hubs, with 6-lug adapter plates.

#5 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:00 AM

TY752VX3AA

Which... When referenced through the attached chart, is shown as a '93 Impreza.

But I don't think that's right.

The outer spindle that connects to the hub is too short... And not... stalky enough.

Attached Files

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,567 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 24 July 2013 - 04:54 PM

IF this is an impreza awd trans, it would be 25 splines. You will need an ea82 axle that is 25 splines, but has the proper spindle for the ea82 hub.

Presuming my guesses are correct, you are going to want a 25 spline axle for an ea82 5mt turbo. Try 1988 rx turbo coupe, or 88 gl-10 with 4spd automatic trans (full time 4wd from the parts listings.

Basically any ea82 turbo with a 4spd auto, or 5spd manual will be the correct one.

#7 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:43 AM

Wow. Miles.

Solid response man.

Honestly, that was a learning experience.

I hope your guesstimations are correct.

This afternoon - ordered an assembly for an '87 GL-10. 5-SPD

Figured a non-naturally-aspirated powerplant's transmission would require a somewhat beefier output shaft.

Daunting.

More to come shortly.

#8 BoxerRebellion

BoxerRebellion

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Portland, OR

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:30 AM

As it turns out... The '87 GL-10 CV was the axle needed.

I'll be posting a thread regarding the project later.

To chronicle events, and to warn the masses of the potential woes and mistakes to watch out for - the mistakes I made.

Thank you for the great input everyone.

It wasn't the best time, but it certainly was a learning experience.

BR out!

#9 philoftheblanks

philoftheblanks

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Oak Grove, OR

Posted 09 November 2013 - 03:25 PM

Boxer Rebellion,

I have been having a similar issue. My car is a 1987 GL-10, originally equipped with turbo engine and push-button single range 4wd. Years ago I swapped in a dual-range 4wd tranny, and have bought several axles since with no problems until the past few years...The first try I got one with the correct fit on the stub shaft, but too short by at least an inch. The second one I tried was the right length, but the spline cup was slightly too large. One would think that with so many of these models still on the road that parts would be easy to find, but no!

So, if you could provide any and all info for the part you finally ordered, that would be great. Who did you order from?

BTW, I also got the wrong pressure plate from an online vendor recently, specified for a GL-10, but it looks much more like a Justy-sized part. Once again, not sure why there are suddenly so many problems when it used to be easy!

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Where are you in Portland?

#10 Gloyale

Gloyale

It's a sickness

• Members
  • 9,398 posts
  • Corvallis, OR PNW

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:19 PM

Boxer Rebellion,

I have been having a similar issue. My car is a 1987 GL-10, originally equipped with turbo engine and push-button single range 4wd. Years ago I swapped in a dual-range 4wd tranny, and have bought several axles since with no problems until the past few years...The first try I got one with the correct fit on the stub shaft, but too short by at least an inch. The second one I tried was the right length, but the spline cup was slightly too large. One would think that with so many of these models still on the road that parts would be easy to find, but no!

So, if you could provide any and all info for the part you finally ordered, that would be great. Who did you order from?

BTW, I also got the wrong pressure plate from an online vendor recently, specified for a GL-10, but it looks much more like a Justy-sized part. Once again, not sure why there are suddenly so many problems when it used to be easy!

Thanks,

Phil

PS- Where are you in Portland?

Problem is you have a GL-10 turbo model......but you have a regular non-turbo 4wd trans in it.  You need an EA82 chassis axle, with the 23 spline inside (smaller of the two sizes) 

The first axle you got was for EA81 (brats, hatchbacks, older wgn/sdn)  Splines fit, but too short.  Happens because these cars were also offered as "GL" models with the "1.8" engine in the same year.  Completely different body and engine cars.

You need to order an axle for a 91 loyale.  This will eliminate the possibility of getting an EA81 or a Turbo EA82 axle.

Also, the clutch you may have gotten a FWD clutch....there were FWD GL-10s.

Order your clutch for the 91 Loyale too and you will get the right one.

#11 philoftheblanks

philoftheblanks

New User

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Oak Grove, OR

Posted 16 November 2013 - 02:59 AM

Thanks for your response. Shopping for this car is becoming very complicated. Motor parts are 1992 legacy, axles are 1991 loyale, and the rest is all 1987 GL-10!

Also, there is a 2-inch lift, so the shorter axle is even less possible. I will take your recommendations next time at the part store.

Phil

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users