Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1997 Legacy Outback

Sub-Goon

I've always loved Subarus, since I was a kid 30 some years ago and always wanted a Brat or GL wagon.  I've driven many of them over the years and my Dad's 05 Impreza was a big influence.  But when it came time to get rid of my gas guzzling pickup for something better on gas and more useful, I decided on this Outback.

Here's how it looked in the ad:

8474514427_d033be54d8_o.jpg

I'm a bit of an addict when it comes to modding and improving things, so thats why it only took 2 days before I started doing things to it!  I removed the Yakima racks and installed a Surco Safari Rack, salvaged from my truck.

Within 2 months, I had painted the bumper insets with Black Bedliner, rehabbed the headlights (cleared corners, polished lenses, blacked out & City Lights added), tinted the factory fogs, painted the grill & badge, painted the scoop, added a relay & Supertones, removed the pinstripes & vinyl wheel arches, 50watt reverse bulbs, led dome lights, led license plate lights, painted the gauge bezel & shifter trim(silver), replaced the batt cables w/ 4g Audio power cables, DIY 10g grounding, Leather Auto Shifter, 4EAT Power Mod (selectable), trans cooler, Torque box & Snorkus delete w/K&N filter & DIY mudflaps!

Here's how it looks now!

8686345447_8c43aaee90_c.jpg

Mod List, ongoing
Interior:
-OEM Power Outlets, ashtray
-(4)Cargo Nets (08 OB-XT)
-Red Hazard button
-Front Tweeters
-Red LED Map Lights
-12 LED white Dome Light
-12 LED white Cargo Light
-Aluminum(paint) Gauge Bezel
-Aluminum(paint) Shifter trim
-DIY E-Brake Lever
-Leather Shifter('98 OBW Limited)
-Broadway Mirror (thanks dplacencia!)
-TorquePro/ELM327 OBD2/BlueTooth Engine Monitoring Sys
-Ram-Mount X-Grip
-Dash Vents, Black
-Leather w/Red Stitching Steer Wheel ('01 RS2.5)

-Pioneer MP3/USB/BT deck(I live in a high break-in area, so I will keep the stock until an alarm goes in)
-DIN VIPstyle storage drawer (Infiniti M30)

Exterior:
-USDM Headlights (polished lens, cleared, blacked out, city lights & SilverStar corner bulbs)
-OEM Fogs painted yellow
-Bumper inserts painted, Black Bedliner (front & rear)
-Hella Supertones, relayed
-Custom Badge, World Rallye colors
-Grill painted black
-DIY Mudflaps
-Hood scoop painted black
-Surco roof basket
-50watt Halogen Reverse Bulbs
-Pilot LED License lights
-Pinstripe & Wheel Arch Vinyl delete
-RalliTek License Plate Frame (rear) 

Engine & Trans:
-DIY 4EAT Power Mode Switch
-DIY 10g Grounding Mod (strut-intake-coil-alt-intake-strut)
-Deleted Snorkus & Torque box
-Hybrid CAI
-4g audio Batt. Cables
-Trans Cooler
-K&N panel Filter
-Group N Pitch Stop
-Battery(640cca/800ca)

Suspension & Handling:
-OEM (for now)

Edited by Sub-Goon

I finally decided on a set of wheels and found a good CL deal, but only got 3 as 1 of them is unsalvagable!  :(

'01 Impreza 2.5RS rims!  They need new tires and I still gotta find 1 or 2 more of these to make a set.  I'm leaning towards Falken Ziex912 in 215/65R16!

9308224141_8f293ee32f_c.jpg

9311005208_8ac4b99d3e_c.jpg

9308226569_263e8d889c_c.jpg

I have had little time to work on the car, due to long hours at work for the last few months, so the parts are stock piling!

-Hella 500 yellow fogs
-Polk/Momo Carbon Fiber 6.5" 2way speakers
-Redline diff fluid
-Door Card lowers w/Courtesy Lights ('98 OBW Limited)
-Leather Door Card Inserts ('98 OBW Limited)
-Large Roof Console ('98 OBW Limited)
-TB Bypass pipework
-OEM Rear Tweeters ('98 OBW Limited)
-RalliTek 4EAT Trans Mount Insert(go buy one now, they are going out of business!; $10 regularily $50!)
-STI steel rear diff guard
-JDM Tail lights(soon!)

And of course the want list!

Here's a few things I am considering throwing money towards:

-Tint rear windows, at least the 2 on each side maybe the hatch
-JDM Fender Markers
-yellow tint on the side mirrors(kills harsh headlights at night)
-Magnaflow muffler
-Hella 6609 reverse red fog light
-rear hatch (original has a dent in the top from a bike on the factory rack)
-rear hatch spoiler (probably USDM, but wanting a Liberty, Tommy Kaira or STI Aluminum) 
-AeroMagic mid spoiler
-Primitive Type1, RFRB, or HippoSleek grill(decisions decisions!)
-HID H4 4300-5k Kelvin kit
-HID 3000 Kelvin kit for Hella Fogs
-Tow hitch
-JDM Center Console(front) w/ door storage cubby
-JDM Center Console(rear) w/ (6) switch/coin slots
-Armrest lift/extension
-Stereo DIN 3 gauge panel
-JDM Stainless Door Sills
-Forester Struts
-Front Strut Tower Brace
-Rear Strut Tower Brace
-Front Swaybar Endlinks, steel (Impreza GC/GF)
-Rear Swaybar Endlinks, steel (Impreza GD/GG)
-Rear Swaybar Center Mounts (WRX/STi GD/GG)

-Skidplate

The performance/tune stuff that I plan for soon:

-NGK Iridiums
-NGK, MSD or Magnecor wires
-Dodge Neon coilpack
-Seafoam intake cleaner
-Redline Trans fluid
-clean IACV
-replace old/dirty PCV
-replace cracked Knock Sensor
-DIY dual Oil Catch Cans

Edited by Sub-Goon

Thanks!  Not sure if you meant the car color or wheel color.... I like the green.  The wheels will most likely be going to a Dark Bronze kind of color, with black lugnuts.  I was really thinking of putting some AT tires, like Grabbers, but I live in a big city and when I get out onto dirt roads (2-3 hrs away!) I am almost always on my moto.  So good street tires just makes more sense!  I do plan on putting 04ish Forester struts on it

Actually those 2 colors are soothing to me, however a bronze color would be good as well.

My Soobie was that green too, very good color IMO. Actually I guess it is the tires that don't really agree with me. That type of tire where there is little space between the road and rim....ugh.just my opinion.

I'm sure that it does make more sense than more off roadie tires for your situation.

And hey, can't please everyone anyway. If it works for you that is all that matters :)

I've got to look into the tinting of the side view mirrors awesome idea:)

I probably should have specified better. Those are the 205/55r16 tires(stock size Impreza RS) that came with the rims, not the ones that I will be running! I will be going to 215/65r16, so wider and taller than stock Outback tires(205/70r15) that should fill the wheelwhells in a bunch!

Even tho this is Oakland, our paved roads are in worse shape than alot of dirt roads I have ridden and driven in Mexico... I commonly suggest moto riders stay in Oakland for a month to prep for the Mexico 1000 or the Dakar Rallye Raid!  Still paved design tires will be better around here!

Thanks for the offer! I ended up picking up 2 more, so now I have a set of 5!

I'm working on relocating, well trying to find a new residence. So my plans are going to slow down, til then, probably 2 months.

Once I'm settled, then I will be getting those wheels MediaBlasted and painted, then throw new skins on them! Cant wait! In the meantime, I will be trying to whittle down the pile of parts that I have accumilated in the last few months.

I finally got sick of the stock stereo and using an Fm modulator for my Ipod nano.....

So I went from this

9398064668_63f55e48b1_b.jpg

to this

9395264875_81300a9e0d_b.jpg

CloseUp

9398032580_e083644ab2_c.jpg

And had to add a bit of Bling, psychobilly style!

9398032932_13dbc639c8_c.jpg

I had found the drawer in a '92 Infiniti M30,  I dont recommend using it.  I think it turned out good enough, but the amount of labor is not worth it.  Its a lil larger than the standard DIN size of 2"x7".  Lots of Dremel use!