Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight trouble, '85 Brat

Installed those Hellas as seen in the "What have you done" thread and everything worked great! It's been 2 weeks and the Hellas still work great. Now when I go to turn on my headlights on the dim setting I get a faint flicker of the hi-beam indicator light and my hi-beams are on very faintly. When I switch on the hi-beams, one goes out completely, one low beam goes dim, and the remaining are normal. Any ideas?

Edited by jonas

Re-check your wiring to the hella's.  Your ground is on the wrong pin if it is an H4 conversion.  If not make sure it is a 4656 bulb and not one of the many other versions that fit the 4x6 buckets.  I think the is a diagram on the danielstern website.

is anything tapped into the same wires as the head lights are on? a power source for the headlights and some other stuff on my 83 wagon was tapped into by a radio some one installed which was making the headlights really dim to where you couldn't tell they where on then when you turned on the brights the relay went off.

Nope, been just fine till now, with the exception of the light switch which I fixed. The issue with the switch was the male/female connector into the harness fried so I just removed the connector and directly wired it up and it was working fine. Now I wonder if there was an issue with the actual switch.

Here are some pics.

http--,,--//P7260359_zps1947a94b.jpg

That is on low beams. The left one is dimmer than the right and the brights are on but very faintly.

Edited by jonas

I know the one you're talking about. Looks fine on a visual but i'll actually pull it apart. Gonna put a replacement light switch in but i don't hold out much hope for that.

Hi,  we went through a similar problem like this in another thread not long ago.   in the same area , behind the fuse panel  look for the main wiring harness coming in/up from the floor/firewall,, looking for a large (12ga  i think)  Black wire , several inches long which sprouts off from the main harness , originally has a  brass ring connector on it..    this is a very important ground wire !!   my car had very similar and other weird light issues till i found this and grounded it to the body ..   the thread was from july 9th 2013  " wont start "  started by member godsmulligan  ,  i made replies there too,   read through the thread and there are pics ,,  the ground is  in his last pic , and might be this is your issue ,, i know it was what was wrong with my wagon light problems,  and has been great ever since i fixed that wire.

Edited by ruparts

Thanks Ru, i did check that wire, It is grounded firmly. Stuck my hand back there and gave it a good tug and it didn't budge. I've pretty much resigned myself to having to take it to a shop. I haven't done anything except remove headlights to repaint front and installed off road lights, and those are powered from the battery with their own relay. I have spent hours going over every inch under the hood and behind the dash. Lost.....

I just know you have to be careful with the lights you fit. I also have a quad light beast that had really good low beam until I found it was all four all the time. The inner high beam inserts had a structure at the back for replaceable H4 bulbs that earthed from one pin to the body via the metal base the bulb sat in and the spring retainer - drove me nuts the night before presenting for roadworthy inspection , swapped switch and all sorts of checking. I ended up insulating the spring retainer with heat shrink then installed quartz sealed beam high beam units that just had the pins set in the glass - insulating things.

I have also learnt that to add a relay to lights and horns on these old Subarus to not only just tap into the positive for the relay but to use the same original earth/ground/neg- side of the original wiring circuit to avoid problems.

I also found a low 1.4V coming from the high beam circuit when just on low beam in an EA82 L series when I hooked up driving lights like yours. I ended up putting two basic diodes in line (series) in the relays trigger wire from the high meam circuit to reduce the Volts to a non trigger Voltage , ntil I actually had high beam on. Diodes are said to absorb 0.7V, I found I needed to to get it down about 0.5V.

Very sensitive relay trigger.

Some also use diode protected relays to prevent any feedback, diode inside them.

Loks like your headlight is having its earth or power sapped by something...

Would a faulty headlight cause something like this? When I unplug the pass. side low beam both low and hi beams go out on pass side but driver side is unaffected. When I repeat it on the drivers side the hi and low beam lights only go out if I unplug each one individually, pass side unaffected. Oh, and the only round thing behind the fuse box is the wiper relay. I think the headlight relays are the 2 round silver ones just to the right of the fuse box. They are fine. I'm getting a new headlight switch so I hope that's it.