Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Headlight trouble, '85 Brat

I can almost guarantee you wired the H4s wrong. You have to change the wiring at the light because it is different than for the stock sealed beams. I had the same issues with my BRAT when I got it.

Here's my thread on the topic:

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/124559-need-quad-headlight-wiring-diagram-85-brat/?hl=%2Bheadlight+%2Bpressingonward&do=findComment&comment=1052484

I can take a picture of my headlight connector if you need to see which wires go where. Otherwise you can just get an h4 bulb pinout diagram off of Google

OOPS! posted in wrong thread! Sounds exactly like my problem except i havent replaced my bulbs. I did plasti-dip my headlight retaining rings but i did nothing to the actual buckets. Would that be messing with the grounds? Maybe i just have crappy tired pins and need to re-pin? Everything was working fine for about a week after i dipped. thatnks for the imput. Every little bit gets me closer.

Good morning guys and gals! So I still haven't fixed my headlight problem. Been over every inch of my Brat. We have gotten very close. :wub:  Really all im left with is a faulty switch solution.

I have a switch from an '80 (thanks Mikaleda!) I could use, but the pins on the '80 switch harness are set up differently than the '85.

Now my question is if I re-pin the '80 harness so the wires correspond to the '85 pins, will this work or am I asking for trouble? This is really starting to suck. I love driving my Brat and my wife wants her Jeep back. B)

The relay for the Hellas is tied into the headlights? correct? so that they go out when the HI beams are on?  correct.

I believe the problem lies there.

What circuit is the coil of the relay tapped into (85,86 terminals)

And where is the 30 terminal supplied power from?

I guess I need to undertand how you've got the relay trigged. 

Also, how are you determining your headlight relays to be fine?

Edited by Gloyale

The hellas are not wired in ATM. I just had them wired from the battery, hadn't done a permenant install yet. I swapped the headlight relays with the ones from my '84. No change. I can't borrow the switch from the '84 because a couple months back the plastic male/female connector on the '85 headlight switch harness was toast, so i took that part out. I dont want to cut up my '84 switch.

Welp, gonna put it back together today. There is a shop close to work that I've noticed gen 2's at occasionally. Thanks everyone for all the imput. Unfortunately my problem wasn't resolved. I'll let you all know what happens.