Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Help required on how to get rid of "gurgle" from dash (air pockets in cooling system)

First gen pre facelift EJ22 legacy sedan. Does anyone know how to get rid of the air pockets in the heater core?

I've done the burp thing several times to no avail. Gurgling sound occurs under acceleration (while coolant is getting pushed around I suppose) and while it's not a major, I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

You have a lot of air in the system if you're getting gurgling all the time. I've had it do it on the first startup in the morning and later found a very small leak. Topped off the radiator and reservoir and in two days it was gone.

Have you filled the radiator with the bleed nipple open? I suppose some might not have that. Keep that open while filling the radiator until coolant fills the hole. Squeeze the upper hose once or twice to purge any bubbles out and fill again if needed.

Start the engine and let it run to operating temp so the thermostat wil open. Bring rpms up to 1500-2000 to force air bubbles out of the core, when gurgling stops shut off the engine. Check and top off with bleeder open after it it cools.

The only thing that will get more air out than that process is using a vacu-fill machine.