Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help required on how to get rid of "gurgle" from dash (air pockets in cooling system)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rxleone

rxleone

Subaru Fanatic!

• Members
  • 528 posts
  • Christchurch, New Zealand

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:36 PM

First gen pre facelift EJ22 legacy sedan. Does anyone know how to get rid of the air pockets in the heater core?

I've done the burp thing several times to no avail. Gurgling sound occurs under acceleration (while coolant is getting pushed around I suppose) and while it's not a major, I'd like to get rid of it if I can.

#2 Fairtax4me

Fairtax4me

Su bah roo'n

• Gold Subscribers
  • 8,836 posts
  • Charlottesburg, VA

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:54 PM

You have a lot of air in the system if you're getting gurgling all the time. I've had it do it on the first startup in the morning and later found a very small leak. Topped off the radiator and reservoir and in two days it was gone.

Have you filled the radiator with the bleed nipple open? I suppose some might not have that. Keep that open while filling the radiator until coolant fills the hole. Squeeze the upper hose once or twice to purge any bubbles out and fill again if needed.
Start the engine and let it run to operating temp so the thermostat wil open. Bring rpms up to 1500-2000 to force air bubbles out of the core, when gurgling stops shut off the engine. Check and top off with bleeder open after it it cools.
The only thing that will get more air out than that process is using a vacu-fill machine.

#3 Crazyeights

Crazyeights

SubaRube Goldberg

• Gold Subscribers
  • 934 posts
  • PNW

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:56 PM

If you have tried all the normal bleeding tricks and still no luck the core may be partially plugged. You can try reversing the hoses but it rarely helps.

Edited by Crazyeights, 25 July 2013 - 10:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users