Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Msd cdi and blaster ss coil wiring questions

Hello im about to put an streed fire cdi box (made by msd its on th 6al line) and blaster ss coil in my 85 brat. question is im not very sure how to wire this thing up. the distribtor in the ea81 are a magnetic pick up right? If yes what colors are the pos and the neg? Where do get a tach signal? Any input would be much apreached. thank you

Got it all wired up today, black with white line 12v switch, heavy red to battery, heavy black to ground, orange to pos on coil, small black to coil neg, black wire with white strip from dizzy to coil pos, white wire from msd box to yellow wire from dizzy, got LED on msd box to show the triggers but no start. Crank but not start. Don't know going to go back over all my wiring next chance I get. Any input would sure be nice.

• 4 months later...

I have an ACCELL 300 MSD box with a 375 box in addition. This is made for any car with a distributor and a carb or stand alone fi. I'll be using the large cap Hitachi disty with a mag pickup, altho I can use the optical disty with this for crank angle sensor...

Anyway, map sensor, nitros, multiple rev control, spark retard, start retard, by gear retard,and more. Hand held display vac, boost, total control of ignition. Going on an EA 82

Yeah it's a cake walk wiring wise. Cold start up is far better then stock. When I started it was bone stock, started with the msd box and coil, idled better and seemed to have a bit more upper end power to red line but my butt dyno might need a weather correction. After I ditched the shittichi carb and picked up a weber,swaped intakes with a carbed ea82 and added a wideband to aide in tuning my brats running awesome. Be as I live in eastern Washington were in a cold snap and it's been cold as spoob and the ol'ea81 rattles to life with a pump of the gas and 4 roll overs and she's good to go. I'm about due for an oil change I'm still running summer oil 10w40.