Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hi, I'm a soon to be new Subaru owner and I'm looking for input from long time owners on the optional extended warranty coverage on a new 2013 Outback. It's $890 for a 6 year / 80,000 mile plan (or if you don't put a lot of miles on a car you can opt for a 7 year / 70,000 mile plan). I'm wondering if people that have opted for similar plans found them to be worth it?

Welcome aboard, and congrats!

I've never had a vehicle extended warranty, so I'm not much help there. I will ask; do you know what the ext. warranty covers (fine print)? 900$ is a lot for an extra 10/20k miles, let's be real, most people I know hit the mileages way before the dates.

In addition to the 5/60k powertrain warranty, I believe you get a 8year/80k mile warranty for the emissions system (not sure on the fine print there either though).

I'm sure you'll get lots of feedback!

Edited by nickb21

The big question is, is it a Subaru extended warranty, or just a third party warranty offered by the dealer?

That's a really low price, which makes me think its a third party, and probably won't cover many repairs, or may only cover the cost of parts, but not labor costs, or vice versa.

Find out the name of the warranty company and do some research online. Check out their BBB record, and other reviews to see if others who have bought plans through that company are happy with the service.

What does the warranty cover? Engine parts and replacement? Transmission parts and replacement? Are any normal wear items covered, such as ball joints and tie rod ends? Suspension parts, springs, struts, bushings?

Will it cover rust?

hi, original poster here...  I assumed it was a Subaru warranty, the brochure says "the only extended service contract backed by Subaru", does that mean its a Subaru plan or just a third party they endorse?   it says it covers the powertrain plus air conditioning, brakes, cooling and fuel systems, steering, front suspension, and electrical systems (and it lists numerous sub-components under each covered system).  It includes parts and labor.   can you post pictures in this forum?  if someone can tell me how I can post pictures of the full brochure.

Do you have to purchase the warrenty at the time you purchase the vehicle? Sometimes they allow you to wait till the existing warrenty is about to expire before purchasing the extended. If you can wait with buying the estended warrenty, it might not be a bad idea to wait and then at a later time decide if you think it is worth it.