Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Hey guys,

I think this can help others and want to post it so I can get some advice at the same time!

Recently when I was driving the car in a parking lot it felt like something was preventing me to move so I gave a little more gas (5 spd MT) and there was a noise, from then on there was knocking coming from the rear part of my tranny when DECELERATING mostly.

So I removed the whole exhaust, the driving shaft, the transmission mount and whole cross member in the way, got the shifter linkage off (what a PITA) and was able to remove the COVER on the back of the transmission to find this sort of large shim in bad shape (A piece of it was broken into a bunch of smaller pieces riding around the center diff case... my two OUTPUT gears have damaged teeth, the bearings look good..

What to do from here? What is this shim? I mean if I just fix it up and straighten it out and removed the small damaged section flush all metalshavings from the case and reinstall the gears I think the car could drive for a while during this time I was planning on getting a good price for either the whole transfer case or a manual transmission from a scrapyard...

What are you guys's opinions?

post-48817-0-59168100-1374902644_thumb.jpg

post-48817-0-49141100-1374902655_thumb.gif