Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Auto seatbelts

My driver side auto seatbelt (93 Loyale Sedan) has been erratic lately sometimes working sometimes not. Usualy a kick to the driver side panel got it working. Now it doesn't move at all. I cannot find a wiring diagram for them and am not sure what connector or wire it is.

Rather than tearing it apart to trace it out, I was wondering if someone had a wiring diagram or could tell me the wires to trace.

• Like 1

I found the problem. I had to take out the hood release cable bracket in order to find the other connector. It is a three wire inline connector one side has pink wires, the other blue wires. I connected them and it works. I suspect the connector was originally loose and it finally came apart.

It was behind the kick panel on the driver side. Not sure if that is the same thing on the passenger side, but it might be worth a look.

Edited by MR_Loyale

Same thing is happening to my passenger side, i have to ask the passenger to close and open the door again and it usually works the 2nd time. I would love how to fix this before they stop all together. bump

Are you going to the Subaru meet in Bremerton tomorrow? If so I can meet up with you and help you with it.

http://www.bignorthwest.com/

Edited by MR_Loyale

I had the same problem when I first got my 91 sedan, the drivers side was possessed to where it would start, go half way, then go back, then all the way open.

I found it was a loose connector by the kick panel just below the hood release cable and the carpet was falling down.. I cleaned and dielectric greased up the connectors, tucked them back in behind the panel and no phantoms since then!

under the pass seat, there are a few relays and IIRC, one is for that auto seat belt motor which is at the bottom of the B pillar kick panel, right above the rocker..

• Like 1

Just to add info for future searchers, the XT's unit is on the right side just in front of the right-rear wheel arch, under the interior panel.  For anyone that has a dead controller, the Legacy controllers will (functionally) fit if you use (cut and splice) the Legacy power connector on to the EA82 wiring harness, and adapt the mounting. 

• 6 months later...

New to the forum - and have 1992 Loyale 4 WD wagon and auto seat belts also started to be erratic similar to above post - except that they act and appear to be erratic in unison (not just one side and similar movement).  Saw above regarding sedans on one side or another and about wagons from Tom.  For the heck of it I quickly peeled carpet back near driver kick panel and cleaned up a pink connector (only 2 wire) but not fix and was not looks.

QUESTION - So per Tom's post on the Loyale wagon they actually put the control unit in the far rear cargo area panel?  Seems like a long way from the motor assemblies for the shoulder belts which from Chilton manual appear to be in the forward kick area - or did I misread above?

Turns out I also have weird look to door switch so even though it works dome light fine I cannot rule that out.  I also appear to have a battery drain when it sits.  I guess gremlins like this pop up in 20+ yr old car.  (but hate to ditch a 4 WD that runs so good other than oil leaks I am guessing form valve covers becoming an issue).  

Electric motors are in the B-pillar...not the kick panel.

Control unit is on drivers side behind the plastic panel in the cargo area/quarter panel side.

Ussually the problem with these is the "buckled" and "limit" switches. 

One of each in the buckle and another limit switch in the front part of the track.

Subaru on;y published a diagarahm in the 88 FSM.