Ultimate Subaru Message Board

3.7 Lsd

what does it take to put this rear diff which is a LSD out of a loyale turbo into my 92 loyale that came with the stock 3.9. also i am swapping in a D/R tranny from a 88 gl . any thing need to be changed to swap these parts ? like axles or anything . thanks

You'll get that a lot here, there are people who ask the same questions over and over. nothing personal.

the D/R swap is straight swap no mods or anything, just make sure you have ever part from the donor car. mounts, interior pieces etc. good time to put a new clutch in also.

front and rear axles will be the same, unless the trans is going in, or coming from a turbo. rear diff axles are all the same

Edited by AKghandi

sorry i just didnt want to spend all the time looking.  i was mostly curious about how the gear ratios would match up but i take it it doesnt matter.

if you dont wanna look you have no business wanting to know anything, just pay someone to do it for you. dont waste peoples time due to your own complacency, its rude.

and i was told i could just use the 3.7 by a few other reliable sorces. do i need to use original 3.9 housing

depends on how you do it, you need to keep the pinion shaft with the ring gear and outer seals. youd know this if you could read.

you're welcome for giving you ALL of the info you need with less than 30 seconds of typing to link it for you. please respect the experience of the folks who freely provide advice around here. My advice to you, if you are truly serious about modding your soob, and ive done everything you are asking of,  is to humble yourself and not expect too much of your vehicle. remember, we're wheeling unibody station wagons with 94 stock hp. 

all of this bs aside, welcome to the board . USMB is the best forum on the net, we can help you out, if you can too.

Sorry but the new search function is lacking. While this topic may be somewhat easy to find, many others aren't, so no harm in asking. This is after all a forum. And this isn't NASIOC. People should use the search function, but no need to be rude to someone looking for answers.

• Like 1

it literally took 5 seconds to look in the usrm, i didnt have to use the search function. I got rude when the op stated an unwillingness to do the same. You are correct Bratman, this is a forum, not a service. Theres lots of folks in Oregon that will be more than happy to pimp a soob and make it so the owner doesnt have to know jack about it. 

haha i have done lots too my subaru and all myself. only with the help of people who live around me and this forum. i was more curious about what tranny can you hook the stock lsd to without any mods. i dont mind tearing the diffs apart i have at least three. i also was wondering about torque spec's for the diff .

so what tranny did the turbo cars come with. i thought they had dual ranges . i know some have the automatic but wasnt sure about all of them. so i NEED to change ring gear and other parts to make this hook up and work on my 88 D/R tranny?

Yes.

You must take the LSD center diff chunk out of the 3.7 diff.  Then install the 3.9 ring gear onto it, and stuff it into the 3.9 case.

The ratios must match Trans to Diff.

Turbo cars all had 3.7 5spds.  Most were single range pushbutton, but RX models did have a version of the dual range.  Not a very low "lo" range, and 3.7 ratio still.

• 2 weeks later...

so i finally got off work long enough to work on my car but when i went to install the lsd center chunk with the 3.9 ring gear on it into my stock 3.9 housing it would not fit . so i looked and the two housinds are different . i thought it was suppose to go into the 3.9 housing without grinding or anything . anyone no what my problem is? Thanks

This might help too:

http://www.indysworld.com/80s/general/USRM/mick-usrm/lsd-swap/lsdswap.html

from the older USRM. 

If you have a problem with your project, posting photos of what you're working on can help a lot. Host them at imgur or imageshack or something if you don't have personal hosting. 

Keep in mind that when you "don't want to take the time to search" that you're asking others to take the time to search or type for you. If you search and post the terms you used to search, that can help us help you be a better searcher. It's hard sometimes because the search function doesn't recognize search terms of 3 characters or less... including LSD. Look for alternates like diff, differential, limited slip, swap, etc. And thank you for remaining polite when you were not treated politely. 

thanks Alot for the help . i didint want to get in to it cause i am not good with computers or typing but what i ment in the beggining was i had no luck searching before i have tried many times . i may be posting photos though if i cant get this figured out . thanks again

i found i had to file the "humps" down to get clearance, i used a regular double cut rat tail. then i got out my dremel and spent 20 minutes on that. 

sorry for being a douche, i can relate to ineptitude in computer interface skills. i should not act so harshly, we've all been there.

cheers, RV

yeah your apologe is accepted man hah. i just suck at computers . thanks for understanding . so i got the new o rings and seals from subaru last week so this morning i got to grinding and i got it to work out very well in my opinion. it looks just like the the 3.7 case that the LSD came out of. first test fit and it fit in perfect . got it all back together and back in my car . bad news is i have no tranny or engine in that car so i will have to wait to find out if i did it right. im positive i did though just need to see it to belive it hah. thanks for the help subruise and baccaruda much apprecaited