Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, my lurker friend!

Welcome to Ultimate Subaru Message Board, an unparalleled Subaru community full of the greatest Subaru gurus and modders on the planet! We offer technical information and discussion about all things Subaru, the best and most popular all wheel drive vehicles ever created.

We offer all this information for free to everyone, even lurkers like you! All we ask in return is that you sign up and give back some of what you get out - without our awesome registered users none of this would be possible! Plus, you get way more great stuff as a member! Lurk to lose, participate to WIN*!
  • Say hello and join the conversation
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Classifieds with all sorts of Subaru goodies
  • Photo hosting in our gallery
  • Meet other cool people with cool cars
Seriously, what are you waiting for? Make your life more fulfilling and join today! You and your Subaru won't regret it, we guarantee** it.

* The joy of participation and being generally awesome constitutes winning
** Not an actual guarantee, but seriously, you probably won't regret it!

Serving the Subaru Community since May 18th, 1998!

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

1992 Subaru Loyale, FWD, 5SPD Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tyinOR

tyinOR

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Irrigon, Oregon

Posted 28 July 2013 - 05:41 PM

Hello everyone. This is my first time and my first Subaru. I bought the car in April 2012. Since then I have put 25,000 miles on it. Other than replacing a clutch cable the first year, the car has run very well. Two months ago I had the clutch and transmission rebuilt. It still ran great. Then I pulled a bonehead move. I decided to replace the distributor cap and rotor. Somehow, don't ask me why, I managed to install the distributor cap wrong! It was 180 degrees off. The cap I bought did not have the number one cylinder marked on it. When I went to start the car it wouldn't. I removed the distributor cap and found that the rotor had struck one of the contact points on the distributor cap, bending it slightly. The contact running along the top of the rotor was broken off and was laying below along with a small piece of plastic.

I have bought and installed a new distributor cap and rotor correctly. The car still won't start. I have now replaced the spark plug wires, spark plugs, and the ignition coil.

I have checked to see if the rotor is turning smoothly, and it is. The timing belts were replaced at 140,000 miles and the car now has 168,000 miles. When I try to start the car it turnes over easily. If I put the gas pedal to the floor the car will backfire once and then I stop.

I have put $1,500.00 into the car on the clutch and transmission and just don't have the money right now to have a mechanic look at it. I need help!

#2 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 30 July 2013 - 12:20 AM

You likely have the spark plug wires routed incorrectly. Depending on cross reference, you may get a cap that physically fits, but the numbers are different.

Firing is 1-3-2-4 counter clockwise.

#3 86 Wonder Wedge

86 Wonder Wedge

USMB Regular

• Members
  • 374 posts
  • Akron, OH

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:13 AM

^^ don't read the numbers on the cap. My replacement came with Nissan firing order since the used the same cap design at one point..

just route your wires carefully, and make sure your is pointing toward cylinder 1 at TDC and that wire 1 is on that terminal.. It sounds like a wire crossed or distro off by a tooth or two..

#4 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

^^ don't read the numbers on the cap. My replacement came with Nissan firing order since the used the same cap design at one point..

just route your wires carefully, and make sure your is pointing toward cylinder 1 at TDC and that wire 1 is on that terminal.. It sounds like a wire crossed or distro off by a tooth or two..

The nissan cross reference is exactly what i am referring to. Better a nissan part than a part not available.

#5 MR_Loyale

MR_Loyale

20 Years of Ownership. 94-14

• Members
  • 1,016 posts
  • Seattle

Posted 01 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

Do you have a friend nearby with a Loyale or Gl with the same engine? Ask them to come over and open their hood so you can compare the wires.

You have learned from experience why you change the dirstributor cap one wire at a time lining it up with the existing one so the wires go in the correct order.

"Experience is a fine school ..." - Ben Franklin

#6 MilesFox

MilesFox

Catch this Fox!

• Members
  • 10,611 posts
  • Madison/Milwaukee, WI

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:59 PM

#1 on the cap is to the right of the clip on the rear of the cap, looking at the brake master cylinder. Counter clockwise 1-3-2-4 from there. good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users