Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Spfi Ea82 no start, no ecu, no idiot lights

88 Spfi Gl

Went to pull MAF to clean it, also changed air filter. Go to start it, nothing. Keeps cranking. Ran perfectly fine all day & yesterday. Checked all my fuses, swapped out fusible links & tested all of the relays. Even swapped out the fuel pump because I couldn't hear it priming when key was in ON position. Even with green connectors plugged in. Still can't hear fuel pump, nor do I have any idiot lights when I turn the key over. I swapped out the ecu as well, neither of them are blinking to show if its throwing codes or not.

Found white wire to black fusible link burnt at the terminal. Pulled terminal out & re-spliced a new one in from my old Spfi harness from an 88 as well. Still nothing

I do have a maxima alternator swap directly connected to the original wires of the harness, no fuse in between. Been running fine for the couple months that I've had this car, no issues.

I'm about ready to pull all my goodies & scrap this one as well. Just about had it with 88 subarus lol rewiring the car with a new harness is not an option either.......

I'm not an electrical guru just yet so if anyone wants to chime in it'd greatly appreciated, I'd like to make it to the Evans creek summer run next weekend. Thanks

ya, we made sure everything is plugged back in, we even swapped out individual parts to make sure. the white wire from the black fusible link to the alternator was burnt at the tab in the box. im thinking the harness is smoke due to inadequate installation of the maxima alt. that said, its been working fine for some time now.

It will crank, but no fuel pump or ecu happening (no blinks). 

The trouble might be due to a faulty ignition relay. I think it switches power to those areas you mentioned. It also might be the ignition switch is having a problem. Check the voltage getting to the dash fuses while the ignition switch is ON. See if they have voltage to them. I don't have access to my service data right now but we'll get this figured out.

May have fried a relay and/or circuit. The fuel pump relay and ignition relay are both 'on top' of the ECU. They connect to a thingie that's screwed down, though they themselves are free. Pull the ECU and look for two small plastic 'boxes' just on the uphill side of the ECU spot.

You said the motor turns over, do you get spark at the plugs? Do the headlights turn on? Heater blower fan? Interior lights other than the dash? Do the gauges on the dash work, even if the lights don't? (Voltage meter, tach while cranking, etc).

Edited by man on the moon

You might look at the hot wire that goes to the alternator.  In my 86 turbo, I have to replace the last few inches every 15,000 miles because it gets hot, brittle and breaks right next to the alternator.  The engine would turn over but it won't start with that wire broken.  It would also run rough just before it breaks.

The black wire in the fusible link, keeps the engine running as well.  It also gets hot, brittle and breaks. 

^^^ that is the wire that we found to looked fried, the white wire from the Alt to black fusible link.... Cut, spliced & replaced it with the same wire out of another harness. Still nothing.

I decided to get rid of the car, I'm going ea81 today ......

Thanks for all the input guys. But this thread is pretty much over ....